Can chickens give humans mites?

Thanks everyone for your input. I already use all free and clear sensitive skin stuff. So I don't know what else I would switch too! As far as the diabetes and things go, when I went to the ER this morning(eyes and face were swollen, wheezing breathing) the nurse said he didn't think blood work was necessary. My hubby was trying to push the bloodwork but the nurse refused. It was very annoying. I think I'm just gonna wait for the biopsy results to come back. I did call my derm this morning to let her know I went to the ER. She said the biopsy should tell what is going on. And if not, an allergist and bloodwork is the next move. 21-hens, I'm glad you were able to figure yours out! Diabetes sucks but at least you know and can treat properly.

Peppercorngal, I know allergies can come on suddenly with products you've used for awhile, it's crazy isin't it?! My sister used to eat nuts and fruits and veggies all the time. Then one day, she was eating carrots and peanut butter and her mouth started itching like crazy. She has oral allergy syndrome now. Fresh fruits and veggies and nuts make her mouth itch something terrible. Not life threatening but a big pain none the less! Thanks again everyone for your input. All the suggestions are appreciated!

About 3 months into my chicken keeping experience I had an awful rash all over my arms, neck, behind ears, hair line, scalp, stomach, and legs. It was so itchy! It would always start as tiny red bumps then dry out and form patches. I've had psoriatic arthritis and plaque Psoriasis for over 10 years and although that has been widespread and horrible, this was even worse. Everyone that knew about my chickens blamed them and their care and warned me to get rid of them. I even started second guessing myself and started looking into allergies to their pine shavings, etc. Turns out that it was another form of psoriasis. I can't remember the type now, but I've had 2 types for many years and now I had 3 types of psoriasis and this one was really bad. My rheumatologist put me on Xeljanz which is a pill (yay for NO MORE injections!!!) taken daily. Although it has pretty much zapped my immune system, my skin began to clear up with 2.5 weeks of the new Rx, my joints aren't as bad, and overall I am feeling better than I have in a while. I say all of this to let you know that you're not alone. I suspect this will be a very long 2 weeks, but consider asking for a referral to a rheumatologist if all else fails. I'm certainly not saying this is what you have, but it's definitely worth looking into. I'm wishing you all the best <3

Thanks everyone for your input. I already use all free and clear sensitive skin stuff. So I don't know what else I would switch too! As far as the diabetes and things go, when I went to the ER this morning(eyes and face were swollen, wheezing breathing) the nurse said he didn't think blood work was necessary. My hubby was trying to push the bloodwork but the nurse refused. It was very annoying. I think I'm just gonna wait for the biopsy results to come back. I did call my derm this morning to let her know I went to the ER. She said the biopsy should tell what is going on. And if not, an allergist and bloodwork is the next move. 21-hens, I'm glad you were able to figure yours out! Diabetes sucks but at least you know and can treat properly.

I will never understand WHY if someone asks for bloodwork the doctors can refuse to run it.

There are labs that will draw and run tests for the regular person. No doctor order needed AND they send the results to YOU not the doctor. Might be worth looking into.
In fact that is how hubs found out about his diabetes. He had the lab draw his blood because it is less $ than the doctor. The lab actually called him and told him to go to the hospital due to how high his fasting reading was.

I would say you are quite informed regarding the possibilities. I'm sure you can't wait for that biopsy! I wish you the best and please keep us updated when you get results. This an interesting mystery (for me, not so much for you, since you are suffering with all of this!). :hugs

Peppercorngal, I know allergies can come on suddenly with products you've used for awhile, it's crazy isin't it?! My sister used to eat nuts and fruits and veggies all the time. Then one day, she was eating carrots and peanut butter and her mouth started itching like crazy. She has oral allergy syndrome now. Fresh fruits and veggies and nuts make her mouth itch something terrible. Not life threatening but a big pain none the less! Thanks again everyone for your input. All the suggestions are appreciated!
Oh my! I can't imagine not being about to eat certain things because of a reaction. I'm praying that you find the cause of your skin issues very soon. And it's NOT the chickens!Hang in there! :idunno

@tripletfeb are you taking anything for the itching? OTC benedryl might help if you don't have a script for itching.
Hives can occur with no warning, and, apparently, no knowable cause. I have gotten hives on my neck before, but one day a few years ago I suddenly got the worse case of itching hives on my palms that I could imagine. My hands swelled up and I nearly scratched them raw. Sticking them in ice water helped a little, not a lot. Eventually that evening it went away. I think I did take a generic benedryl. (diphenhydramine)

@tripletfeb good luck! Hoping the results give you some or all of the answers!

I started to use a new skin product a few months ago. Major rash where I’ve never had a rash before (no, not there), so uncomfortable and unexpected! Went to dr and got topical meds. They help, but I think my skin reacted to new product and now, will still flare up routinely - I think new product sensitized that area of skin. Hopefully it will settle down completely. But, the unknown is the worst!

Only a few more days to go for the test results.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, it means a lot! This community is beyond awesome!! @so lucky yes I have been using benadryl and my derm said it was ok to use zyrtec too. So, zyrtec in the morning, benadryl at night. She even said to use pepcid ac, I guess that is a histamine blocker too. Who knew:idunno And I sure hope it's not a reaction to my chickens. If I had to get rid of them, I would be devastated. I promise to keep everyone updated when I get the biopsy results. Thanks again all!!

Back
Top Bottom