Can chickens have a stroke?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Molbaygun, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Molbaygun

Molbaygun Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2008
    New Milford, CT
    Our 4 month seabright roo has gone through alot these past two weeks. I thought he was surely going to die. First I thought he had gape worm (maybe he did), then respiratory illness, now a stroke. I treated him for worms and he had antibiotics and electrolytes. He is now eating and drinking. He is also up and walking around but he drags his right wing and has stepped and tripped on it. Mr. Roo is slow to move but alert. He still mouth breathes on and off. I am not really sure what is going on but I do know that I have to do something about his wing....tape it to his body??? Any ideas out there? He is in a separate run.

I did lose another banty and now one of my 4 month old black sex linked hens is a tad sluggish (so I removed her also).

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't know what is wrong with your birds, but I suspect that the one with the droopy wing will learn to hold it up. If he recovers and stilll drags the wing, maybe you could come up with some kind of sling. If you use tape it would have to be the feathers and I doubt it would stick long. He'd probably pull it off.

Sorry for your problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by