1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can chickens have suet?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by abhaya, Nov 27, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    My local TSC has suet cakes on sale cheap. would they be ok chicken treats?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I really don't see why they would be a problem and the fat would be good for them this time of year.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Yes, just like everything else though, moderation is the key. It's quite high in fat so I only give it to them occasionaly, but they really seem to appreciate it during the really cold days. It gives them something to do when they're stuck in the coop during really bad weather too.

4. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    I wondered about suet too....thought that because it's fat, just not too much at one time. I was going to post and ask this myself.!

5. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    I give them a suet cake either peanut or berry flavor about one a week. That's in a pen with 20 hens - it's a fun treat if you put it into a suet hanger and hang it just high enough so they have to jump a bit for it.

6. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I tried giving mine some last year and they ignored it. I thought they would gobble it up like everything else but no. maybe just get one and see if they like it.

7. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    I tried giving mine some this week due to the cold temps; but the dog got to it first. [​IMG]

8. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Mine love it

9. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    I havn't given mine any yet but when they free range one of their favorite places, is under the bird feeders!

10. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    I like to make my own for them... They love em... good way to keep some winter fat/heat in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by