Can chickens molt this time of year?

Jrios58

Songster
May 1, 2020
I have noticed one chicken with a lot of neck feathers missing, don't know in my inexperience if she's being picked on or molting. This morning there were lots more feathers in their coop flying around in the breeze.
I'm in north Texas where it gets cold but not extreme, and so far we've had mostly mild weather, no need to lock them in except at night a couple times.

My BO id the same where I saw she was losing neck feathers and didn't like being picked up when she loves being picked up. she was molting and her feathers were just sore from growing back in. It takes a couple of weeks. Shell looks like a hot mess. As long as you don't see any mites then yes she's molting. Oh and being picked on, Is she at the top or bottom of the pecking order? Mine was at the top so she was molting. If you see any signs of her feather being picked at then hopefully someone else can help you as well.

I have one with missing neck feathers also.. no blood so it doesn’t seem she is being picked on. I also read someone else this morning experience the same thing.. looks to be a molt for hers also

My oegb is pretty much naked. That poor little thing look so sad and it’s cold out there. I’m giving her some mealworms to bust her protein and promote feathers growing faster. She stated crowing again. When she’s stressed out she crows. It’s the cutest thing ever. She’s getting better at it 😅

My three 9 month old BAs are going through a partial molt. So their heads and necks look a little scrawny right now, and the white flakes from the new feather sheaths make them look like they have dandruff worthy of a Head and Shoulders shampoo commercial. Freaked me out when I first saw it too.

I have noticed one chicken with a lot of neck feathers missing
How old is she, in weeks or months?

Chickens molt and grow a new set of feathers 2-3 times before around 6 months of age, those are called the juvenile molts.
Some pullets will have a partial molt their first fall/winter.
Most birds will have their first full adult molt their second fall/winter.

I've had chickens forego the fall molt to molt late on in June. I've had chickens skip molt for a year, going nearly two years before the next molt. I've had chickens molt for an entire year and longer before feathers all get replaced.

In case you've never noticed, Mother Nature often defies rigid planning.

This is my first winter with four 1.5-year-old hens, none of which molted. There were a few feathers here and there in the coop about a month ago, but none of them did a full molt. I’m glad they aren’t doing it now because it’s 10° outside.

Back
Top Bottom