Can chickens perch with crooked toes?

hypnofrogstevie

chick magnet
16 Years
Jul 12, 2007
Newport, MI
I have a pullet and a cockeral who both have crooked toes. the cockeral has one crooked fot and the female has both feet with crooked toes. Would they be able to? They are both 3 months old now

Two of my chickens have crooked toes, both females. They're both able to perch and get around without a problem. One has one crooked toe, the other has two crooked toes on the same foot.

ok thanks. I did not have the heart to cull them as I thought they would have a fighting chance. She scratches the ground and gets around easily. She was really stubborn and would not wear her cardboard sandles

It is advisable that they not be used as breeders, but beyond that if they're getting along on their own - I say let'em be!
smile.png

i will only try 3 eggs of hers and see what I hatch. they will only be pets and thats all. They are cute and sweet. I may just breed the one hen and roo who dont have the crooked toes

Hiya Stevie. My Annie has a very crooked toe. Happy as a lark otherwise though! Anyway, I give her the choice of a perch or a straw-lined (or wood shavings in summer) shelf. Both she and her roo buddy opt to sleep on the shelf. The perch and the shelf are at the identical same height. During the day she will sometimes perch on things but at night she prefers nestling down on the shelf. I guess each case will vary depending upon the shape of the foot and toes.
JJ

Thank JJ. I will definatly build alot of different roost with different hights. She will pic her own choice out
smile.png
She is just a doll and so is her brother. i have a guy who is going to take the one with the crooked foot but no call yet. I will repost him on CL and hope someone will take this baby
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom