Can chickens stand the cold weather?

myhubbycallsmechickenmama, 

please explain woods style open air coop.

thank you

If you search JackE you will see pictures of his Wood's style open air coop. Mine is very similar to that only on a larger scale. My coop is about 16' x 16'. I will take pictures of it tomorrow and post here for you to see. We just finished it so the siding and trim are not completely finished yet but you will get the general idea. The front of the coop is nothing but hardware cloth over two very large openings for ventilation. I am very impressed with it so far.

When we get a stretch of temps in the single digits and when it goes below 0F I run a sealed oil heater in my coop. Unlike a heat lamp it will not cause a coop fire. I have also gone the no heat route, but the birds seem happier with a little heat when the cold goes on an on. I have noticed that the chickens eat a lot more when it is really cold, so I figure a little additional heat makes for happier hens and is a trade off between the electric bill and the feed bill....

Last edited:
Wow thanks everyone! I got more info than I could have asked for!
It's because you were featured on the front page :)

Hey, how cold is it there this morning? My nose hairs froze when I went out to do chores, but my chickens were all fine. All getting ready to lay.
wee.gif

This is my first year wintering 4 chickens and I had the same concerns. Based on my experience so far, I totally agree with what most others have said: no additional heat (or light) needed, keep your birds dry and draft-free, keep them well fed and hydrated. I've been averaging two eggs a day all winter long. A few additional thoughts for you:

* Definitely read "Fresh Air Poultry Houses" by Price T Woods. That's where the Woods-style coop comes from. Great food-for-thought in the book.

* Consider a composting floor. Insulation and makes poop-duty a lot easier (you don't have to do it as often, can just turn over the top layer). My floor has even given off some warmth, the birds have nested down in it. However, the composting action will give off additional moisture in the coop.

* Keep paying careful attention to your birds and asking questions. This has been the most valuable tool in my newbie chicken-wrangler kit.

This is a great thread and wonderful information. My first winter with my seven chickies in an 8 X 8 coop with attached 8 X 12 hoop run. I've covered the run with plastic and that's where the flock likes to spend their time. If I leave the coop door open, with the snow on the ground, they won't step out even after I've cleared an area for them. I only insulated the roof and three walls, wanted to see how that would work this winter and so far so good, not sure I would even insulate the last wall. Had to add a heated dog water bowl for the poultry waterer to keep it from freezing up. After I put in the heated dog bowl, that messed with the humidity level and on a below zero night one of my roos had a little frostbite on the top of his comb. Increased the ventilation and all is well. My roost bar has carpet for the winter. As much as I would like to add heat, I am resisting because we lose power often in NH and I would hate to get them used to a heated coop and then loose them during a power outage. Five pullets are now laying and I'm getting 3-5 eggs a day.

It's because you were featured on the front page :)

Hey, how cold is it there this morning? My nose hairs froze when I went out to do chores, but my chickens were all fine. All getting ready to lay.
wee.gif
I saw the front page yes.
It was about -10 or so. I think it is colder this afternoon.

I dont think we get it as cold in the uk -3 at the moment. Chickens are suprising, mine have the choice to stay in the hen house, come out to a sheltered area, or go further to the more open area, most of the time they can be found perched on their log in the open area. They dont seem bothered by much. They go in at dusk and never before. I then put the pop hole down and they seem happy enough. Now its cold, the 3 of them sleep in one nesting box, they look really comfortable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom