Can chickens stand the cold weather?

I don`t think thats gonna be warm enough. My chicken house is all boarded with just a couple openings and it got real cold and i quickly insulated as best i could do.I`ve got a little heater in there such til we get through this cold snap

Poor guy. Ya my poor guy got frostbite bad on his comb. Now he looks like this and he wasn't even outside.
I've got a little heater in there now for everyone. Its about minus 8 celsius now.
sad.png

Believe it or not there are some people who "dub" their chickens purposefully. With this business of frost bite I can see why but suspect for them it's a cock fighting strategy. Other than appearance it seems to not do them any harm.

I personally think dubbing is horrible. It also sounds VERY painful. Frostbite in roosters is rare as long as you have good ventilation, so I don't find dubbing at all neccesary. Although, I live in Michigan and our winters arent usually very bad. I understand why people would dub their roosters in places like Alaska though.

Last edited:
we are in a heat wave here over 50F today wow. Thank goodness, but everything is melting, good weather for puddle jumpers :)

Believe it or not there are some people who "dub" their chickens purposefully. With this business of frost bite I can see why but suspect for them it's a cock fighting strategy. Other than appearance it seems to not do them any harm.
If you show OEGs then you have to dub them.

I do not own this breed, but have seen a rooster lose so much blood from getting in a fight that he was weak. He actually died despite my efforts to save him. I think the other birds attacked him because he was already weak, but the blood loss was insane. And it was so cold that the blood froze in icicles down his beak and chest.

Poor Carlton. :( I miss him.

I personally think dubbing is horrible. It also sounds VERY painful. Frostbite in roosters is rare as long as you have good ventilation, so I don't find dubbing at all neccesary. Although, I live in Michigan and our winters arent usually very bad. I understand why people would dub their roosters in places like Alaska though.

Don't get me wrong I don't advocate dubbing, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. As for Frost bite, in my experience there is a fine balance between improper and proper ventilation. For some it can be hard to acquire and it has been for me. Chickens that go out in the winter would be more prone to frost bite I would think. My post was to ease the minds of those who experience it, so they don't beat themselves up as some do.

Don't get me wrong I don't advocate dubbing, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. As for Frost bite, in my experience there is a fine balance between improper and proper ventilation. For some it can be hard to acquire and it has been for me. Chickens that go out in the winter would be more prone to frost bite I would think. My post was to ease the minds of those who experience it, so they don't beat themselves up as some do.
I understand what you meant
smile.png
I was just stating my opinion on the subject. I personally have never liked that people trim dogs ears and tails, and roosters combs for show. I'm not saying that anyone is cruel or wrong for doing it, it's just my personal opinion on it. I'm very sensitive when it comes to animals, so I have trouble with doing anything like that to an animal. I know lots of people who do this kind of stuff, and I love them all just the same. So i'm very sorry if I came acrossed as harsh or judgmental. I truly wasn't trying to be disrespectful to anyone.

I understand what you meant
smile.png
I was just stating my opinion on the subject. I personally have never liked that people trim dogs ears and tails, and roosters combs for show. I'm not saying that anyone is cruel or wrong for doing it, it's just my personal opinion on it. I'm very sensitive when it comes to animals, so I have trouble with doing anything like that to an animal. I know lots of people who do this kind of stuff, and I love them all just the same. So i'm very sorry if I came acrossed as harsh or judgmental. I truly wasn't trying to be disrespectful to anyone.

We're good. I just wanted to let folks know where I stand on the matter.
wink.png
I've been accused of spoiling my chickens, but I just can't help it. Seems to me a content animal is a more productive animal. Works with humans too.

Now lest anyone think their chickens don't love them. I just read a letter in PP mag. from a woman who had to have surgery and who's chickens stopped laying when she went in for it and didn't lay another egg til she came home from the hospital.

While we do not keep sheep we do keep a flock and we are shepards. You represent security to them no matter how many you have. At least that's my story and I'm stickin to it.
big_smile.png

Love ya ,

Rancher

Back
Top Bottom