Can chickens stand the cold weather?

They can survive the cold just fine. My games are likely as cold tolerant as any but they do complain even when temperatures drop just below freezing. They will bunch up on roost if they have the chance, and fluff up their feathers. They are also slower to come down from roost. When snow is deep mine will even fly considerable distances to stay out of the snow and to keep their feet warm. You will also see them bunch up in sunny places protected from the wind if they can do it.

They can survive but it is stressful. We a being a bit cold to the birds interest when we simply say they can handle it. When it gets really cold growth and egg production can suffer, that is a big reason behind why we go to such lengths to keep them from getting too cold stressed. Managing cold stress is important enough for commercial producers to spend money on heating each winter if their operation is not large enough for birds to heat the building.

My orpingtons are 6 months old and well feathered. It got down to 36 last night so I put a trouble light on the outside of their coop downstairs facing the wire mesh enclosure. I went out just now in the dark and they were all downstairs milling around like it was day time. I wonder if they were trying to stay close to the light to stay warm or if they thought it was daytime ... all night long??
I turned off the light and hope they are resting- upstairs where their nesting boxes and perches are located.
Any comments?
Six month old Orps will be fine in those temps as long as they are out of the wind (no breezes blowing on them - keep air vents up higher than their perches, for example). If you have them in something like a rabbit hutch you can put sheet plastic across the front or plexiglass (or plywood) except at the top to let some air in.

They will be less prone to feather picking and tiredness during the day with the lights out during the night. Also, a light bulb that gets rain spattered on it will explode.

Just some hopefully helpful tips from my experience....

Last edited:
I have 4 chickens. 3 of them roost in the pen and 1 goes in the coop at night. It's starting to get cold at night. Do I need to worry about them or will they start going into the coop. They go in there to lay but that's it. Today I put a light in their coop

oh my...what a wonderful coup you have there!
We had a very nice coup after I decorated an old shed that was insulated....but I fixed it up, red & white gingam check curtains....painted hill scenary in the chic's cages....
had pictures of corn and corn nic nacs....was my little play house where I kept my 25+ flock...
I was battling that chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia stuff when I got a few chics to keep me from going nuts as we live far out in the country, I had to stop working
and my being a people lover, was like putting me in jail having to stay home, but too ill to do much.
But getting out several times a day kept me busy....my birds depended on me.
I wrote a small story about my experience "Chicken Coup Therapy on Wits End Farm"....being forced out of my bed to care for my flock helped me get moving and motivated
which helped my depression and deep muscle and joint pain.
PMl me if you'd like to read my story...I'd like some input, see if my story's worth publishing.
happy chicks, happy hicks!

I've got a few Russian Orloff's and a lone Leghorn. I'm in Colorado and the weather has been getting down to around 15 degrees at night. The girls seem to like to roost on top of my coop instead of inside. I have a heat lamp in the pen. I'm new at raising chickens and would hate for them to freeze to death because of my ignorance. Is this normal chicken behavior or should I be concerned and more proactive?
McCluck's
idunno.gif

I've got a few Russian Orloff's and a lone Leghorn. I'm in Colorado and the weather has been getting down to around 15 degrees at night. The girls seem to like to roost on top of my coop instead of inside. I have a heat lamp in the pen. I'm new at raising chickens and would hate for them to freeze to death because of my ignorance. Is this normal chicken behavior or should I be concerned and more proactive?
McCluck's
idunno.gif
Some chickens do like to sleep outside. Due to predators and giving them some protection from the wind most of us prefer to have them sleep in the coop. It could be that the coop became too warm for your birds when you put the heat in. Since they are acclimated to the cold by sleeping out take the heat away and put them in the coop. After a few days of that they should get used to the idea of sleeping out of the weather in the coop.

Great info on this thread! Had a question the weather today was pouring rain and I always leave the coop door open to the outside run. When I put them in for the night, the coop floor was wet from rain and wind. The temps will drop tonight-will they be ok with a wet wooden floor? It's just a section but I worry about moisture and all that. I put lots of hay and woodchips down to help.

Great info on this thread! Had a question the weather today was pouring rain and I always leave the coop door open to the outside run. When I put them in for the night, the coop floor was wet from rain and wind. The temps will drop tonight-will they be ok with a wet wooden floor? It's just a section but I worry about moisture and all that. I put lots of hay and woodchips down to help.

Sounds like you did all you could to dry it up, but i would find a way to avoid that happening again, you don't want damp, wet housing. It happens, but i would try seeing a way to either stop it or reduce it whether you add something or adjust the door etc.

This is my first winter with my Buff Orpingtons so I too am concerned about them freezing. I have to chase or bribe them into their coop at night. I have a 90 watt yellow bulb upstairs In the coop to keep them and the water from freezing. I would also like to know if their wanting to stay outside in the pen rather than go into the warm coop is normal behavior? Their run has no top so I am afraid if they stay outside that a cat could get to them. Unlikely but possible coming over an 8 ft. fence..

This is my first winter with my Buff Orpingtons so I too am concerned about them freezing. I have to chase or bribe them into their coop at night. I have a 90 watt yellow bulb upstairs In the coop to keep them and the water from freezing. I would also like to know if their wanting to stay outside in the pen rather than go into the warm coop is normal behavior? Their run has no top so I am afraid if they stay outside that a cat could get to them. Unlikely but possible coming over an 8 ft. fence..
Their not wanting to go in the coop could be their way of telling you that it's too warm in there. Really - they don't need supplemental heat if they're protected from wind and rain. I use a heated dog dish to keep their water from freezing.

With no cover on your run, a cat is the least of your worries. I'd be more concerned about coons, opossums, owls and hawks. An 8' fence wouldn't stop a determined cat.

Back
Top Bottom