Can Chicks be Too Quiet? (pics)

LaLoomis

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 13, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I got my first batch of chicks in about 20 years and was prepared for them to keep me awake with their peeping. This batch has been so quiet that it made me concerned. They do make a soft meeping sound but not that strident screech of an unhappy chick.

A couple times I've gone in and found every one of them sleeping. I tried to get a good picture of them all laid out but as soon as I came in a couple would wake up and stir the rest up.

21113_sleeping.jpg

They seem to spend a lot of time running around and eating too. One of them even catapults itself over the others' heads like it was shot out of a sling shot.

21113_eating.jpg

I tried to get some chicks-eye-view pics and they all ran over to try to eat the camera.

21113_posing.jpg

I'm splitting the order of 50 with a friend but I'm keeping them all for a week or so until they settle down from shipping. I ordered from McMurry and they arrived right on schedule on Monday. There's a mixed bag in there. The packing peanuts are red star males, then there's some polish, silver penciled rocks, cochins, RIRs, brahmas, araucanas, black australops and a couple tiny old english.

If they're too cold, they peep a lot and loudly. Or when they're first put in a new brooder. Otherwise, mine haven't been very noisy. Warm enough, with a full belly, they're pretty happy with life. They're exhausted from their trip and will sleep more the first couple of days, too.

If they're active, eating and drinking, that's great.

What little cuties they are!
love.gif

big_smile.png
Glad your babies are doing so great. As long as they are eating and running around they are fine. We got our babies from MM. They hatched out Sat and came in this morning at 2AM. We have lost 9,and 2 more are very weak. We have 17 doing great 2 EE, 8 Australorps,5Orps,1 Brahma Bantam. I wanted faverolles so badly they didn't make it. I have called MM
they said they were exposed to the cold for too long. Being new to chicks,this is our 1st order. I just didn't realize this would happen. It has been a very hard day. Hope your chicks continue to do well.
Best of Luck
carolina girls

Quote:
Hi Carolina Girls, I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. I read your other post and there are some similarities with our orders. The polish that I got definitely aren't as robust as some of the other chicks. I think it's just a more delicate breed. This was my first time ordering through the mail too and I think in the future I'll order later in the Spring. It's warm here in L.A. but not where the chicks are coming from.

I had one DOA. It was a little Old English Game. Two others made it OK but this little one couldn't compete with the other bigger chicks. I won't order bantams and standards in the same order again.

One I Thought was a gonner is coming around. Thank Goodness! It a little buff brahma bantam. I have been working with her all day getting her warm and sticking her beak in vitamin water. I've she pulls through the night I think she will be okay. She can stand on her on now.
Thanks for the prayers and good wishes.
Later
carolinagirls

I just got my chickens, they are picking at everything and are terrified of me. they run to the opposite side of where im at. but besides that all where alive but one and only a couple have pasty butts which im working on fixing.

Quote:
How are your chicks doing? Ours were a week old Saturday. They have changed so much in such a short time. They are not running away anymore. They recognize my voice now. A couple of them will even let me pick them up without much fuss. I am so glad they are doing so much better.
Hope yours are too.
from carolinagirls in SC

Back
Top Bottom