Loud chirping chick

dbounds10

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
I have 9 new babies that I got on Friday. Starting today one of them will just randomly start chirping very loudly like she is unhappy, or cold or something. As soon as I go into the room she stops. She is eating, drinking, scratching and running around. No pasty butt or anything. I have not had babies in over 12 yrs but I don’t remember having this issue. Usually if one is loud something is wrong. Has anyone had a chick that randomly screams for no reason? I tried to get video but like I said even if I sneak around the corner she stops right away. All the other girls just quietly peep like normal babies.
View media item 7953160

Last edited:
Id say she'd fine, there could be different reasons that she is being loud but as long as the others are comfortable and she doesn't appear to have anything causing discomfort, then id say she's most l likely doing it as a social reaction. Perhaps she sees something as a threat nearby ( you can try covering the cage with a blanket similar to domesticated birds ( just be wary of the temperature and ventilation inside the brooder) or maybe shes imprinted on you ( although with 9 flock mates it'd be somewhat surprising). Does she do it when she finds a bit of food or anything strange in the brooder?

overall I wouldn't be worried as along as she isn't displaying any other signs of discomfort and the other chicks are acting as they should. sometimes they are just like babies and some babies just cry and are louder then others.

Awe so cute! Agree with looking for mom, smart chick is not falling for the fake mom 🧡And this actually helps me... Getting this years chicks in a few days and for the first time I have a heat plate like yours. But I've been using a heating pad on a wire frame bent like a mommy would be with a middle dip like a belly. I'm planning to use the heating pad for the first week then the plate.

I have this too but thought it might be because they feel lonely. Only 2 eggs have hatched because of a heating problem and one of them is really weak. The one that is not weak cheeps really loudly until I check on them. I thought it might be because they can see their reflection?

Edit: I changed increased the heat and its fine now :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom