chick acting weird- neurological or just a little special?

murphynhazel12

Songster
Jul 4, 2020
hello, just got 4 baby chicks yesterday from the local tsc to add to our existing small flock of 3 three year old hens. one of the chicks seems a little odd- she walks funny (like waddling) which may be because she seems a little, well, wide. but she also keeps trying to get underneath the other chicks consistently (which i know is normal, but she does it constantly, even when the rest of them are running around and scratching, etc and) and she chirps very loudly most of the time, unless she's eating (which she does more than the other chicks it seems. i'm not sure if she's drinking well either) idk if it's relevant, but she had pasty butt when we got her. it has reoccurred once since.
here's a picture of the chick in question, her name is jellybean

Attachments

• 20240329_203621.jpg
    20240329_203621.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 25
Shes beautiful! Sounds like normal chick behaviors. Keep a eye out if she seems more sleepy than the others. Lethargic. Watch for that and mouth breathing. These signs I mentioned can mean a sick chick. Also excessive chirping. If shes eating and drinking and playing I wouldn't worry. Some chicks They like to try to get under the other chicks for warmth. I've also have had them sleep on top of the other chicks neck and wings all spread out. It is funny to see . They all have different personalities. I would keep a eye on her and if she's otherwise normal I wouldn't worry. Keep watch for sick behaviors. If she's not showing any I would not worry. Hope this helps a bit. Enjoy your babies!

Shes beautiful! Sounds like normal chick behaviors. Keep a eye out if she seems more sleepy than the others. Lethargic. Watch for that and mouth breathing. These signs I mentioned can mean a sick chick. Also excessive chirping. If shes eating and drinking and playing I wouldn't worry. Some chicks They like to try to get under the other chicks for warmth. I've also have had them sleep on top of the other chicks neck and wings all spread out. It is funny to see . They all have different personalities. I would keep a eye on her and if she's otherwise normal I wouldn't worry. Keep watch for sick behaviors. If she's not showing any I would not worry. Hope this helps a bit. Enjoy your babies!
thank you so much for your help, I'll keep that in mind! she does seem a bit sleepy but they all kind of are, all they do is eat sleep and poop lol. she isn't mouth breathing at all but does chirp most of the time (very loudly). she's been having a few runny watery (no blood, however) poops. their feed is medicated and I've been giving them probiotics in the water.

Last edited:
unfortunately she has passed away. i found her this evening sprawled on her side but she was still twitching and moving a bit, so i put her in front of the heater and got her comfortable until she died. the rest of the chicks all still seem healthy.

Back
Top Bottom