Can chicks eat basil?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MarieNC, Jul 24, 2010.

1. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    We are overrun with basil in our garden and I was wondering if this would be OK to give the chickens. I used to give it to my lovebird but of course that's not the same thing.

2. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Basil is not on the toxic plant list. Poultyhelp.com has a great list of plants that are toxic to poultry.

Chickens will eat almost anything. If they are laying, their eggs can take on the flavor of what they eat. I don't know about anyone else, but basil eggs sound strangely yummy to me![​IMG]

3. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed mine basil and mint that I cut back when it outgrows its area in the garden. Have just had their eggs once thus far (they just started laying!) but definitely did not notice an odd taste.

4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Mine take a bite or two out of my basils and I really don't know if they are after bugs and accidently get a bite of basil, or, if one or two bites is more than enough...

5. Capt. Crusoe

Capt. Crusoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    McHenry County, IL
    I'm with Kipper, Chickens will eat almost anything and I for one love basil so basil flavored eggs sound great!! During the winter months when snow is covering everything that was green and the birds are always scratching at the snow to see what they can find underneath I will stop at Sam's Club and buy spinach for the birds, chop it in the blender and serve them a treat. They love it!!!

6. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Thanks, everyone! The girls aren't old enough to lay eggs yet, so no basil flavored eggs. Off to the garden!

7. abuhr1

abuhr1 New Egg

Oct 2, 2013
    i am glad to see this. I have some basil in my frig. So it will make the egg's taste like basil? Trying all kinds of things for my chickens to eat. Been googling and stuff to make sure i don't give them anything that's not good for them to them.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I've never had anything I feed my birds affect the flavor of the eggs. I've fed lots of fish at times, pasta with lots of garlic, mint, basil, scraps with lots of cooked onion, things like that. My eggs just always taste like eggs. Other folks say differently, but this has been my experience in 20+ years of chickens.

I'd love to feed them salsa and get salsa flavored eggs! How cool would that be?

1 person likes this.
  9. abuhr1

abuhr1 New Egg

Oct 2, 2013
    Thank you Rachel! Going to have to do some more flavor's for them then. Yes that would be cool. lol's. ;) Guess they will be getting some basil then tomorrow.

Amy

10. france4862

france4862 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    Do chicks/chicken have taste buds my chicks seem to like oatmeal dry but oats not so much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by