Can chicks eat waterfowl starter?

TwistedTayy

Songster
Apr 30, 2021
Douglasville, GA
I did things a little backwards and started off my poultry endeavor by hatching goose eggs, then buying ducklings. The chicks I ordered (bantams) will be arriving the week of Aug 2. The waterfowl is almost finished transitioning off of the waterfowl starter and I have some leftover. I have some all flock crumble leftover as well, which is obviously fine to start off with but I was wondering about the WF starter. It is the Mazuri Waterfowl starter pellets. The company's policy is "This feed is specifically formulated for waterfowl"... which doesn't exactly mean that chicks can't eat it.

I have no idea. Waterfowl shouldn’t be fed feed formulated for chicks because it doesn’t have enoug B vitamins like niacin in it. B vitamins are water soluble so it’s really hard to overdose on the Bs if there are too much or more than needed in the feed.
Other than that I don’t know what the difference really is.

YES. Its fine for ducks, and for chicks.

20% protein. 3% fat isn't excessive. Calcium around 1% is fine. The guaranteed analysis doesn't mention Niacin at all - assume its there in sufficient quantity - the chicks will deposit the excess, no damage done.

Oddly, *most* labels don't include Niacin, which I find frustrating as a duck owner.

Ingredients, frankly, are pretty typical.

Ground corn, wheat middlings, dehulled soybean meal, whole wheat, fish meal, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, soybean oil, glyceryl monostearate, salt, dl-methionine, brewers dried yeast, cholecalciferol (form of vitamin D3), pyridoxine hydrochloride, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate(form of vitamin E), menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K), preserved with mixed tocopherols (form of vitamin E), rosemary extract, biotin, vitamin A acetate, choline chloride, citric acid, tagetes (Aztec marigold) extract (color), calcium pantothenate, folic acid, nicotinic acid, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, l-lysine, manganous oxide, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate.

Its a Purina product

YES. Its fine for ducks, and for chicks.

20% protein. 3% fat isn't excessive. Calcium around 1% is fine. The guaranteed analysis doesn't mention Niacin at all - assume its there in sufficient quantity - the chicks will deposit the excess, no damage done.

Oddly, *most* labels don't include Niacin, which I find frustrating as a duck owner.

Ingredients, frankly, are pretty typical.

Ground corn, wheat middlings, dehulled soybean meal, whole wheat, fish meal, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, soybean oil, glyceryl monostearate, salt, dl-methionine, brewers dried yeast, cholecalciferol (form of vitamin D3), pyridoxine hydrochloride, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate(form of vitamin E), menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K), preserved with mixed tocopherols (form of vitamin E), rosemary extract, biotin, vitamin A acetate, choline chloride, citric acid, tagetes (Aztec marigold) extract (color), calcium pantothenate, folic acid, nicotinic acid, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, l-lysine, manganous oxide, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate.

Its a Purina product
Yes lol I bought it originally because I had my flock of welsh harlequin on purina flock raiser and they started developing some wobbly legs. I looked in depth and compared feeds. This feed has 162ppm Niacin (vs all flock 55ppm).

I just wasn’t sure if chicks had different requirements like ducklings. I guess if I can handle ducklings I’ll be able to do chicks. I have corid just in case (because I’m trying to use up feed and won’t be feeding medicated).

Does anyone know if older ducklings can handle medicated if I put them on it while they transition to outside? Or should I just keep the chicks off medicated to protect the duck/geese flock?

yes, older ducks can handle medicated too.

unfortunately, my local mill medicates virtually everything. its intended as a small scale commercial feed. its cheap. its fresh. it meets their needs. but its medicated.

i'm looking into another supplier
Lol ok so basically it’s not good but it won’t kill them. I can live with that for a few weeks. I imagine the risk of coccidiosis is higher for chickens when they’re free ranging in a duck pen so I might do that once I put the chicks outside but I’ll see if they like the waterfowl starter in the mean time. Thank you!

Coccidia are basically everywhere humans are or have been - but if there has been an outbreak previously on property you have confirmation that its sometimes present in quantity.

Unaware of any literature indicating whether there is a tendency for them to be more, or less, present where ducks are making a mess, but my gut agrees with you. "Probably".

My ducks and chicks share runs anyways, and the same acres when they free range each day. Thus far, no issues with disease.

Normally, a healthy bird keeps them in check, so seeing to flock health is the best way to avoid a coccidia experience. Amprolium itself, the medication here in the US which is primarily used to control coccidia is a Thiamine antagonist, a B1 Blocker. Nothing more. You can easily overcome its coccidia combatting characteristics with sources of supplimental Thiamine in the diet, which is why you want to be careful mixing a coccidia treatment, like CORID with a general vitamin/electrolyte booster or feed suppliment such as brewer's yeast.

:hmm Interesting, I wonder if having them on a waterfowl starter would make corid ineffective (or less effective). I ordered 5 Egyptian Fayoumis and 4 bantam surprises. I know fayoumis are more resistant to disease but i don’t know about cocci and if I get something like silkies the jury is out. My plan is to have a bantam flock with fayoumi bloodlines. But I need to raise them first lol

Back
Top Bottom