Can chicks find grit outside on their own?

ChickenDad19

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2023
Southern California
I’d like to start taking my 2-3 week old chicks outside for 15-20 minutes while the weather is good enough to get them accustomed to outside (and to let them have more room to explore). I was going to bring their food and water out with us and put it in the barricaded area, but I don’t have any grit (I’ve only been feeding them the chick starter). Would they be able to be find natural grit themselves if they end up eating some grass? Or do I have to give some to them?

I’d like to start taking my 2-3 week old chicks outside for 15-20 minutes while the weather is good enough to get them accustomed to outside (and to let them have more room to explore). I was going to bring their food and water out with us and put it in the barricaded area, but I don’t have any grit (I’ve only been feeding them the chick starter). Would they be able to be find natural grit themselves if they end up eating some grass? Or do I have to give some to them?
if you've got normal soil, and they can get at it, they'll find suitable grit.

As long as you have hard stones in your soil around this size, they will be fine without purchased grit:
grit2.png

Back
Top Bottom