Can Chicks Fly???

Carwile Chicks

Songster
Dec 16, 2020
Hi! I will be purchasing 5 1-month-old chicks soon. I'm keeping them in a dog crate with a heat lamp until fully feathered.

Question: when I put them in another container (plastic bin) so I can clean where they stay, will they try to fly away? I'm new at this :D

Hi! I will be purchasing 5 1-month-old chicks soon. I'm keeping them in a dog crate with a heat lamp until fully feathered.

Question: when I put them in another container (plastic bin) so I can clean where they stay, will they try to fly away? I'm new at this :D
Yes. They WILL fly up to the edge of the bin. They start that at around 2.5-3 weeks old. My chicks could fly up to the edge of the poop boards at 3 weeks and the edge is 34" up.
I would consider investing in a brooder plate instead of a heat lamp, especially for 4 week old chicks that only need heat for about another 2 weeks.

Yes. They WILL fly up to the edge of the bin. They start that at around 2.5-3 weeks old. My chicks could fly up to the edge of the poop boards at 3 weeks and the edge is 34" up.
I would consider investing in a brooder plate instead of a heat lamp, especially for 4 week old chicks that only need heat for about another 2 weeks.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom