Can chicks get constipated?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sylviaanne, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    I have a little bantam chick that I am pretty sure is not going to make it. It won't eat, much, same for drinking but it's belly seems distended to me, so I am wondering if it could be constipated? I have seen it poop and very recently but like I said, it's belly seems distended to me.

I got it to eat a little canned pumpkin early this afternoon but had to go out and get more chicken food and when I got home, I had forgotten about it. When I remembered and went to check on it, it was cold. My incubator is running so I put it in with the eggs. After a while it perked up and I tried to get it to take a drink of water. It refused. I put it in a bucket with the water and family came to visit. Long story short, I forgot again. When I went to check on it, it was in the water and thoroughly cold. I used the blow dryer on it to dry it quickly and as warmly as I could but it is acting more and more weak.

I don't think I can save it but I am not going to give up until it is gone. I just got to wondering about it's belly and if it could be constipated. Oh, I don't have my book in front of me but I think it is about 3-4 weeks old.

2. debster1556

debster1556 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Maybe A little sugar water? But you definitely need to keep it warm ! Pretty important for a chick. No more forgetting!! Was it's poo really hard or was it straining? What have you been feeding it?

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Try some wet chicken mash. Most of them love that. And don't forget the poor bugger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by