Can chicks sleep with a red heat lamp on?

Red heat lamp or ceramic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guisso14

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2018
20180929_152657.jpg
I just started putting my chicks out in their coop and I have a small red heat lamp out there as they do not have their full feathers yet and it gets pretty cold here at night. Should they be fine to sleep with the red light or should I switch to a ceramic heating bulb to keep it dark in the coop. They are about 4 weeks old and when I checked on them they were wondering around the coop and looked comfortable. I'll add a pic for reference.during the day the coop is open and light can get in rather well.

I just use a regular incandescent light bulb and when it's on at night, seems like they won't go to sleep and stay up causing a ruckus...... so since I have them inside the house and it doesn't get too cold, once I shut off the light they seem to quiet down and go to sleep. But as far as red light having to do with them staying up, I'm not sure, but the bright incandescent light that I use seem to play a part in them not wanting to sleep.

I just use a regular incandescent light bulb and when it's on at night, seems like they won't go to sleep and stay up causing a ruckus...... so since I have them inside the house and it doesn't get too cold, once I shut off the light they seem to quiet down and go to sleep. But as far as red light having to do with them staying up, I'm not sure, but the bright incandescent light that I use seem to play a part in them not wanting to sleep.
Great idea, thanks!!

@KikisGirls can a pad be used instead of a heat lamp? I heard they were safer but I don't have experience with them :confused:
Sure a heating pad is pretty safe and won't keep them awake.
(I still don't think they need added heat though)

Back
Top Bottom