Can Chicks That Are A Month Old Go Out In Wet Grass?? Hurry!!!

bails g

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I have baby chicks that are a month old. We had a crap ton of rain last night and this morning. The grass and ground are pretty saturated but no puddles in their pen. I would like to let them out, it is gonna get about 75 to 80 today. CAN I let them out? Is wet grass bad when they are little? Will they get sick?? If their feet get wet is that bad?? I am still new to this whole chicken gig. Can someone please let me know, they want OUT really bad.... Thanks!!!!!!

Last edited:
Yes, as long as it's above 70 and they aren't getting blown around by heavy winds- just check them for a warm up occasionally!

Edited to add: Momma Broody took out her 2 day-olds (who could barely make it through thin grass they were so new and wobbly) on chick-parade when we still had standing water after 3 inches of rain- and it wasn't even 65 out! I watched like crazy, but they were all fine, scratching in the mud!

Last edited:
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!! My chicks will be happy at your prompt reply.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Kind of along this same line of questions, my baby chicks are about 3.5 weeks old and have lots of feathers. I haven't let them outside yet. I'm keeping them in a water trough brooder in the washroom still under a heat lamp. (the lamp is now about 5 feet above the brooder) Our weather here in south central Texas is already pretty hot with nights in the high 70's and days in the high 90's or 100's. I want to put them out in the big chicken yard in their own small pen / house but don't know when they will be old enough. I've read they need to be eased into the big bird flock and have a puppy X-Pen I'll keep them in for a few days. But how old should they be before I can put them outside. Oh, the big bird pen is mostly in the shade of several big oak trees and has netting over the top to keep out predatory birds (and chickens in).
Thanks

PS to the responder who lives on Cape Cod ... what a great place to be in the summer. My grandmother lived on White Horse Beach there, for many years, and I got to visit in the summer occasionally. I remember gathering wild blueberries and raspberries that were delicious!

Quote:
It's not about their age...remember millions of chickens hatch and live their entire lives outside. What you need to worry about is safety and temperature. It certainly is warm enough...so if you have a safe place where they can run around and scratch in the grass, then put them out there. I started letting mine outside at a week old....well supervised and short periods of time at first, and let them stay out longer and longer until I felt comfortable with them out there all day, and then all night.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll set up the X-Pen inside the coop today and put them out there in the morning, unless it rains. (That's a big laugh!) I think they will be warm enough and we have been having some nice SE breezes so don't think they will bet to hot. Will be off all weekend, so will be a good time to be able to watch them.
By the way, TXmom, if you're getting any rain, we could sure use some of it over here. We just get a sprinkle now & then just to tease us. I hate to pray for hurricanes, but that seems to be the only way we get enough rain to fill the pond behind our house. Even the "perennial spring" back there is almost totally stopped flowing. Will have to put water out for wildlife soon, so peeps have to give up the water trough soon anyway!

HI,
I am also a newbee, my question is the same except in my area (N. CA ) it is mid 50's-high 60's but skies are gray. Is it too cold for my chicks who are 6 weeks, some are not feather out all the way yet. Do I need a light in the hen house???
Thanks

I tend to disagree. They may make it fine but my experience is that if they get wet and chilled or fall behind mama and get too cold they won't make it. Some will. Some might not. I wouldn't have taken the chance on losing any but that is just me.
If the grass were dry then it is a whole different story.

Quote:
Sorry...no rain here to send your way...we haven't seen a drop in over 3 weeks.
hmm.png
Counties around me are on a burn ban, and I figure our burn ban will begin very soon. I don't think I want a hurricane...but a nice tropical storm would be nice
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom