Can cockatiels have gamebird feed?

Patiocoturnix

🦠
Premium Feather Member
Jun 15, 2023
West central Florida
I know I know probably a dumb question but I have quail and always have gamebird feed I was wondering if I was able to feed them some every once in a while as a high protein treat. I looked it up a website said it was ok but I don’t want to just have one opinion wanted some advice from more experienced people. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't feed my cockatiel anything but feed meant for cockatiels. Their bodies are a lot more sensitive than game birds and feeds meant for them have the nutrition their little bodies need. If you're reading it that it's okay as a treat, then I could understand giving it a small amount a couple times a week or so.

We had rescued an old cockatiel a long time ago when its owner died and went to Walmart to find out what to feed it lol, but I don't remember. Just that it came in about a 5# bag, then the poor old thing died a few days later so we threw that out to the wild birds and chickens rather than our parrots.

These parrots have gotten Roudybush pellets in 25# bags shipped for 20 some years plus occasional nuts in the shell, bananas (their favorite), yogurt, etc.

I wouldn't feed my cockatiel anything but feed meant for cockatiels. Their bodies are a lot more sensitive than game birds and feeds meant for them have the nutrition their little bodies need.

We had rescued an old cockatiel a long time ago when its owner died and went to Walmart to find out what to feed it lol, but I don't remember. Just that it came in about a 5# bag, then the poor old thing died a few days later so we threw that out to the wild birds and chickens rather than our parrots.

These parrots have gotten Roudybush pellets in 25# bags shipped for 20 some years plus occasional nuts in the shell, bananas (their favorite), yogurt, etc.
Thanks. Exactly why I came here instead of just going with the website.

I wouldn't. Parrot nutritional needs are still fairly unknown gamebird feed could be way off.
You could get them a parrot pellet, I think Harrison's high potency is high protein (I'm not 100% sure, that's a US brand so I'm just going off what I've read....). I know there's lots of other high protein things you can feed as a treat I'll find them in a sec for you!

I wouldn't. Parrot nutritional needs are still fairly unknown gamebird feed could be way off.
You could get them a parrot pellet, I think Harrison's high potency is high protein (I'm not 100% sure, that's a US brand so I'm just going off what I've read....). I know there's lots of other high protein things you can feed as a treat I'll find them in a sec for you!
Oh! Is your gamebird feed for layers also? That would probably be a big no, Australian parrots can struggle with excess calcium sometimes which will damage their kidneys.

Our macaws were on Harrison's for a few years as recommended by their vet. Yes, parrots have vets too lol, but, once every 10 years so these have been to one twice.

Anyway, it got too expensive and I switched them back after trying it. It's good though, no doubt about it!

Back
Top Bottom