Can cornish X's live a normal life??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jackrooster, Jun 6, 2010.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    I see all these cornish rock X and i feel so bad for them.....can they live a normal life with less food?? or not at all,?? i would like to get one. Thinking that i cant save the world, but i can save 1 peace of it.... but just thought i would ask?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

NOT from experience...but from reading other's experiences: Yes, but a shorter life than most chickens. Many find them exceedingly sweet birds. I don't think limiting their food would be best, but giving them room to roam and act like "real chickens" would be nice. I've read that some have cornish that are very typical to layers in their activity levels. But they never live long, so be prepared for that. The longest I've heard of is about 2 years, although most never make it to a year.

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Quote:Second that.

4. agriewahn

agriewahn New Egg

Mar 16, 2010
    West End, North Carolina
    I have a rooster and a hen that are almost a year old. The rooster does everthing the other roosters do but
    is a lover not a fighter. The hen lays eggs about every other day. The are very sweet and very big. They do not over eat as they did
    when they were younger.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by