Can CornishX take the cold?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Country Parson, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    Due to Summer heat and family vacation plans, I don't want to have CornishX in mid-Summer. I live in west/central Ohio. How early can I have CornishX in outside pens? Can they take some freezing temps? I can protect them from the wind.

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    they take it fine, much better than the heat. like you said provide shelter from the wind, and expect that they may burn a few calories keeping warm.

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I also live in West Central Ohio. Where abouts are you from? Last year the earliest I felt comfortable putting them on the pasture was the end of March. They may be able to take it, but I don't like putting them out if the temp fall much below freezing at night. When I moved them out, they were fully feathered and 3-4 weeks old.

4. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    we live in Wv - pretty much the same climate as OH. i usually get about 60 in mid march and process before Memorial Day at 8 weeks. we keep them in a brooder in the basement for 1 week - then out to a brooder made of hay bales and 2 heat lights in an empty coop. They do quite well this way and the only problems I have ever had with them was with heat. Last year had to put an old air conditioner out there the last 2 weeks as it was in the high 70s and 80's part of the time. I didn't lose any, but they were starting to pant pretty heavily.

5. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    Quote:I'm between Urbana (N of Springfield) and Bellefontaine. Thanks for the info. End of March sounds about right, meaning I'll need to get started on them at the beginning of March. I love (and hate) this time of year---all the planning for the garden and the animal projects for the Spring is fun, but WAITING till it comes still drives me nuts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by