1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can coturnix quail transmit disease to chickens?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by browning6, Feb 17, 2015.

1. browning6

browning6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    It appears that my wife and i will be moving in about 4 months to a different state. I have a flock of birds that i have acquired from purchasing one here and there. i have at least 12 different breeds and colors represented in my flock. It has been super fun.

However, I have suffered from several illnesses that have run through my flock. I had the avian pox that went through everything and killed a few here and there. i thought it had worked through and then it came back a second time when i had some young chicks. i have had Mites a couple times but never really bad. I have had a couple mystery illnesses. one of which paralyzed a completely healthy chick and made him claw his neck to the point of bleeding.

My thought is that i just start over and find some hatching eggs and a few chicks from reliable sources and go from there.

What are everybody's thoughts? am i going to get rid of my illnesses by starting new? My flock has been relatively healthy the last 2 months but i know that doesn't mean much.

Also i have coturnix quail. they haven't been effected at all. Can i keep my quail or will they carry illnesses that will be passed to my new birds?

My quail have been awesome layers and healthy. so i hate to sell them all but i am not sure what to do

I would like to hear what everyone has to hear.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    All birds can pass diseases to a different species of bird. Birds of all kinds become immune to their environment. So if you do not introduce any new bacteria's or virus's from other types of BIRDS, (most bacteria and virus's are species specific) your birds will generally stay healthy. The moment you bring in poop, unwashed hands or utensils from another type of bird or poultry, you are opening up the chances your birds will get sick.

So when you keep different types of poultry, it is imperative you practice bio security. Do not handle one type of bird and then go handle the other. Wash your hands between the two. If you have walk in aviaries for your quail, don't use the same shoes for your chickens as you do for your quail and such. A pair of shoes for the chickens and a pair of shoes for your quail. Don't share waterers, feeders and such. Change your clothes if you are doing heavy cleaning in one area.

These practices will keep the groups separate so that if your chickens get sick, your quail are safe and if your quail are sick, your chickens stay safe.

And keep the two separated. Never mix your chickens and quail. Keep them some distance a part as things do float on the wind.

3. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I go through about 1,000 quail a year and I've never had a sick quail. And I don't keep the cleanest feeders, waterers, cages or tightest biosecurity either.
    I go through about 100 chickens a year and they routinely get sick or drop dead for no apparent reason.
    Not saying it's the quail's fault, just that quail are generally more hardy than chickens. The only problem I have is that the chickens love to scratch around under the quail cages and during the rainy season I lose a few chickens that eat the moldy & rotten quail food, poop & maggot slop from under the quail cages but that's my fault for allowing them access.

If I were moving and wanted to have birds at my new place I certianly would take my favorite breeders to rebuild my flocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by