Can critters get through 1/4 hardware cloth?

EmmaRainboe

🙄🤚💙Duckie💜😩🤚
Jul 30, 2020
Washington
Looking to add some extra ventilation, but wondering if I need to invest in 1/8 hardware cloth or if 1/4 will be just fine. Can critters get through 1/4 hardware cloth? Thanks in advance.

I was not aware that 1/8" HC existed? Perhaps you meant 1/2"? [I just googled yes 1/8" HC is a thing, either 27 or 28 gauge, "Keep your chicken, rabbit and their food safe from small rodents like rats, mice, moles, snakes". It is made from 0.0142 wire roughly 39% of 1/2".]

I posted this a few days back it may help. In short I believe that raccoons are able to penetrate 1/4" HC so depends what "critters" you want to protect against.

"There is a significant difference in size/strength between 1/4" 23 gauge vs 1/2" 19 gauge HC. 19 gauge is .036 inches diameter, 23 gauge is .023 inches diameter so ~64.% of 19 gauge. As a practical example a racoon is able to break through 23 gauge but not 19.

In choosing HC one should define the predators/pest they want to deter. Obviously 1/4" will deter some smaller pests that 1/2" will not; while there is some debate research says the 1/2" (12.7mm) will deter adult mice.

Also remember that thinner wire will deteriorate more quickly so replacement will be required soon.

Most references on BYC seem to use 1/2" HC."

Last edited:
I was not aware that 1/8" HC existed? Perhaps you meant 1/2"

I posted this a few days back it may help. In short I believe that raccoons are able to penetrate 1/4" HC.

"There is a significant difference in size/strength between 1/4" 23 gauge vs 1/2" 19 gauge HC. 19 gauge is .036 inches diameter, 23 gauge is .023 inches diameter so ~64.% of 19 gauge. As a practical example a racoon is able to break through 23 gauge but not 19.

In choosing HC one should define the predators/pest they want to deter. Obviously 1/4" will deter some smaller pests that 1/2" will not; while there is some debate research says the 1/2" (12.7mm) will deter adult mice.

Also remember that thinner wire will deteriorate more quickly so replacement will be required soon.

Most references on BYC seem to use 1/2" HC."
Ah okay, so I should go for the bigger holes because they are stronger? DIdn't realize they were. 1/8" is a thing, they sell it at Home Depot along with 1/2" and 1/4".

I will be deterring minks, raccoons, cayotes, weasels, possums (I think), foxes (I believe), hawks, owls, eagles, we also (supposedly) have black bears and cougars (not sure if that's true or not), also rats. There are probably some other critters I'm forgetting about.

Ah okay, so I should go for the bigger holes because they are stronger? DIdn't realize they were. 1/8" is a thing, they sell it at Home Depot along with 1/2" and 1/4".

I will be deterring minks, raccoons, cayotes, weasels, possums (I think), foxes (I believe), hawks, owls, eagles, we also (supposedly) have black bears and cougars (not sure if that's true or not), also rats. There are probably some other critters I'm forgetting about.

I updated my post above, may be useful.

Back
Top Bottom