Can cx ever taste like dual purpose bird

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chick_magnet, Oct 19, 2010.

1. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    I have CX and RIR. I really like the favor and texture of the RIRs. I've heard the CX won't have the same texture as the RIR. I like for my meat to be a little bit chewy. some say that if i just let the CX grow older it'll have the same texture. is that true? I currently have CXs that are 6 months old.

2. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    they probably won't taste the same... but the older cornish X will definitely taste a heck of a lot better than an 8 week old one!

3. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:I don't have the answer , but would enjoy seeing pics of those 6 month old CX . Please ?

4. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Yes, it should have a more robust flavor and texture when they are older. The super-tender meat that CX are famous for is mostly due to the fact they get so big at a young age.

They'll be HUGE too.

5. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Yeah, grow them & free range them so they don't just sit around & eat. The only difference then is that they will have more white meat as they are genetically disposed towards it. Flavor should be the same though.

6. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    Quote:I don't have the answer , but would enjoy seeing pics of those 6 month old CX . Please ?

if i can figure out how to upload pics then i would upload them for you. [​IMG]
    i'll try tonight

7. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    My cornish free ranged, and they tasted a heck of a lot like the dual purpose birds I have had. They just had MORE yummy meat on them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by