Can diatomaceous earth be used ON the ducks without hurting them?

I'd like to share some actual experience about diatomaceous earth. See the fella in my picture? While we were doing some gardening, he discovered a large bag of diatomaceous earth and by the time I got to him, his head was completely covered with the stuff and he was blowing it from his nostrils. My elderly friend who was there told me that its what they used to feed their birds as a substitute dewormer "years ago". So that's what my flock has been getting as a dewormer since March of 2018.

They're fine! Once a month or so I'll sprinkle a large pinch on their community food dish and they eat as they normally would. Health has been great!

Ive used DA on dry bathers like quails, hamsters and chinchillas

But you need to give it sparingly and take away after use. Breathing it in in is damaging to lungs

Foodgrade DA has less crystaline silica but still enough to damage lungs

Consuming DA as a health benefit is a theory not a science. Ide eat it and not be scared but i wouldnt expect good from it

The great DE debate. As far as I know there are no studies that prove it threats poultry worms, and I know from personal experience that it doesn't treat lice, so I guess that puts me on the anti-DE side. Plus, there is a vet here on BYC that I trust and respect, and she says it could cause respiratory problems.

Back
Top Bottom