Can diatomaceous earth be used ON the ducks without hurting them?

kitkatbahr

Songster
10 Years
Apr 25, 2009
Merritt Island, FL
Ok, I am just learning about diatomaceous earth and I was wondering if it can be used ON ducks, not just in their pen? From what I read it can be used on dogs and cats (food grade only, right?) but what about on the ducks themselves? I don't want to hurt them. Do I need to use it on ducks? Do they get critters on them like chickens do? Do they get fleas? My duck pen is part of my dog yard (it is actually a cornered off part of the dog fence where we let the dogs out to go potty. They can't get the ducks though, but fleas can go through the chain link fence). I saw two of my new ducks scratching at their heads today. It was pouring rain though, so I haven't tried to catch them and see if I see any fleas. But, I will tomorrow, when the sun is out and the duck pen isn't so mucky! I can just see myself falling on my butt chasing them!! LOL

Also, I read it can be FED to dogs? It is supposed to help with internal parasites, which I assume would be worms that dogs are prone too. Can it be fed to cats too? Does it take care of tape worms, or just hooks, rounds, etc.?

Thanks everyone. I appreciate any and all information.

Kathy

Edited to add: My dogs are on frontline, but I know that not ALL the fleas are gonna die, so there may be "some" in the yard. We haven't actually seen them or have any get on us, but I know it's possible.

Last edited:
Since I hatch, rehab and literally live with birds for a living. It's important that I treat them well and maintain their health. This lil girl came to me with multiple health issues including not walking, underweight, no egg laying and blood in feces. Terrible case of roundworm!

20190225_110202.jpg

Her diet consisted of crushed "duck starter" mixed with a pinch of diatomaceous earth, banana and lots of steel cut oats because its what I eat, lol. This was strictly her exact diet. Other than telling her she is a good duck, there were no other medications like anthelmintics used.

Here she is with her sister and a clean (duck) bill of health getting introduced to a friends flock. This is our sanctuary where Health & Happiness are the two biggest rules. She would not have been welcome if she wasn't in anything other than perfect health.

Fortunately they blended in incredibly well and are doing fantastic! Even laid me some fertile eggs!
20190225_152510.jpg

I apologize if I seem condescending. I come across as very dry in text and I try not to be. I just wanted to share my real life experience. Was this rescue Rouen's roundworm removal a rare and random phenomenon?

The great DE debate. As far as I know there are no studies that prove it threats poultry worms, and I know from personal experience that it doesn't treat lice, so I guess that puts me on the anti-DE side. Plus, there is a vet here on BYC that I trust and respect, and she says it could cause respiratory problems.

Hi! Here's an article I'd like to share that used an actual scientific method conducted by the Centre for Sustainable Food Systems of the University of British Columbia.

https://academic.oup.com/ps/article/90/7/1416/1543647

It's a long great read and includes some great information on the effects of diatomaceous earth on external and internal parasites

Ive used DA on dry bathers like quails, hamsters and chinchillas

But you need to give it sparingly and take away after use. Breathing it in in is damaging to lungs

Foodgrade DA has less crystaline silica but still enough to damage lungs

Consuming DA as a health benefit is a theory not a science. Ide eat it and not be scared but i wouldnt expect good from it

The great DE debate. As far as I know there are no studies that prove it threats poultry worms, and I know from personal experience that it doesn't treat lice, so I guess that puts me on the anti-DE side. Plus, there is a vet here on BYC that I trust and respect, and she says it could cause respiratory problems.

DE are diatoms that have very very rigid cell walls. They can go into a dormant state when conditions are unfavorable. They have existed for a long time with this adaptation. But I can see where chickens really is saying they are sharp like glass. I haven’t researched what would happen to your lungs if you got them in it, but I’d guess it wouldn’t be good because or their rigid shape. In my mind it could be like getting fiberglass shards or asbestos in your lungs. And may tear up the mucus lining of the gut. But like I said I haven’t done the research. I’ve just worked with them in water/pond settings before. Not dried out where they are dust in the air.

I'd like to share some actual experience about diatomaceous earth. See the fella in my picture? While we were doing some gardening, he discovered a large bag of diatomaceous earth and by the time I got to him, his head was completely covered with the stuff and he was blowing it from his nostrils. My elderly friend who was there told me that its what they used to feed their birds as a substitute dewormer "years ago". So that's what my flock has been getting as a dewormer since March of 2018.

They're fine! Once a month or so I'll sprinkle a large pinch on their community food dish and they eat as they normally would. Health has been great!

Back
Top Bottom