Can diatomaceous earth be used ON the ducks without hurting them?

The great DE debate. As far as I know there are no studies that prove it threats poultry worms, and I know from personal experience that it doesn't treat lice, so I guess that puts me on the anti-DE side. Plus, there is a vet here on BYC that I trust and respect, and she says it could cause respiratory problems.

Hi! Here's an article I'd like to share that used an actual scientific method conducted by the Centre for Sustainable Food Systems of the University of British Columbia.

https://academic.oup.com/ps/article/90/7/1416/1543647

It's a long great read and includes some great information on the effects of diatomaceous earth on external and internal parasites

Hi! Here's an article I'd like to share that used an actual scientific method conducted by the Centre for Sustainable Food Systems of the University of British Columbia.

https://academic.oup.com/ps/article/90/7/1416/1543647

It's a long great read and includes some great information on the effects of diatomaceous earth on external and internal parasites
Thanks for the link, I will check it out when I'm not so tired. :D

Since I hatch, rehab and literally live with birds for a living. It's important that I treat them well and maintain their health. This lil girl came to me with multiple health issues including not walking, underweight, no egg laying and blood in feces. Terrible case of roundworm!

20190225_110202.jpg

Her diet consisted of crushed "duck starter" mixed with a pinch of diatomaceous earth, banana and lots of steel cut oats because its what I eat, lol. This was strictly her exact diet. Other than telling her she is a good duck, there were no other medications like anthelmintics used.

Here she is with her sister and a clean (duck) bill of health getting introduced to a friends flock. This is our sanctuary where Health & Happiness are the two biggest rules. She would not have been welcome if she wasn't in anything other than perfect health.

Fortunately they blended in incredibly well and are doing fantastic! Even laid me some fertile eggs!
20190225_152510.jpg

I apologize if I seem condescending. I come across as very dry in text and I try not to be. I just wanted to share my real life experience. Was this rescue Rouen's roundworm removal a rare and random phenomenon?

I am taking care of a mite problem right now with DE. I use it in the crevices of my coop and in a dust bath in combination of a neem oil cleaning. I have them cleared out of my main coop and baby coop. The jerks moved to my broody and so now I am controlling them with DE as I don't trust the neem oil with hatching eggs.. I sprayed the crevices of her coop and left a very thin layer of DE on the floor as well as sprinkling it on the ground outside her coop. I just stuck my hand under the broody and sure enough not even 1 mite after hundreds being on my hand yesterday.... I think the problem is that most of you have big flocks that between cost and time investment can't feasibly treat your entire flock that way. To me it is important. I can guarantee my chicks and birds are 100% organic in all treatments/feed from birth. As a bonus no corn/soy. Helpful selling points. Then again until my chosen ones begin to lay I have a flock of only 7 hens. It's a lot easier with a small flock.

I am taking care of a mite problem right now with DE. I use it in the crevices of my coop and in a dust bath in combination of a neem oil cleaning. I have them cleared out of my main coop and baby coop. The jerks moved to my broody and so now I am controlling them with DE as I don't trust the neem oil with hatching eggs.. I sprayed the crevices of her coop and left a very thin layer of DE on the floor as well as sprinkling it on the ground outside her coop. I just stuck my hand under the broody and sure enough not even 1 mite after hundreds being on my hand yesterday.... I think the problem is that most of you have big flocks that between cost and time investment can't feasibly treat your entire flock that way. To me it is important. I can guarantee my chicks and birds are 100% organic in all treatments/feed from birth. As a bonus no corn/soy. Helpful selling points. Then again until my chosen ones begin to lay I have a flock of only 7 hens. It's a lot easier with a small flock.

Make sure to let us know in a week if the DE takes care of the problem. Mites are hard to treat, and often require Permethrin-based products, that are more effective compared to Diatomaceous earth. For your, and your birds safety, avoid getting DE near their face, reasoning being, it's been tested, and evaluated, as a Group 3 carcinogen by IARC.

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/stan...as been tested,the research conducted to date.

Back
Top Bottom