Can Diet affect egg taste?

I have read here many times that too much flax seed will make the eggs taste fishy. I've no idea how much is "too much" though since I don't plan to feed mine flax seed so didn't take note of that.

flax seed is very good for their skin and feathers though because it's full of omega oils. So don't skimp on them out of fear of egg taste!

I have wondered that same when people say to put chilli pepper in the chicken feed because it stops the mice eating it. Spicy or spicy smelling eggs?

I really want to try feeding my hens beetroot now.... lol red yolked eggs would be great for halloween lol

When I use ACV consistently in their water, my egg customers rave about the taste of my eggs. I have to agree. The ACV seems to remove the strong sulfur odor/taste from the eggs and just leave a nutty, rich taste behind. One of my customers said she hadn't been able to eat eggs for years due to them upsetting her stomach but she can eat mine without any such symptoms.

I've not found that garlic or onions affect the flavor of the eggs....both eggs and garlic are sulfur laden foods.

Many things can affect egg flavor, but it depends on how much of a given food they eat.

Fish can do it, particularly oily fish, but it has to be greater than 5-10% of their total feed consumption. Some fish meals seems to do this more than others.

Flax seed can give eggs a fishy taste, but it has to be greater than about 5% of their feed consumption (I may be misremembering this one somewhat).

Raw garlic and onions definitely can and not in a good way.

Someone the other day said that mint did as well.

I've never noticed citrus affecting egg flavor, but then my birds have never been all that crazy about eating it anyway.

I read somewhere an over abundance of flaxseed will give egg yolk a greenish tint. I wouldn't worry about it though. If you want the omega 3, Purina has a feed for layers but it is horribly expensive. $15 for 40#... I use the ACV also. It helps the good bacteria in their gut and keeps the plastic waterers clean on the inside. No algae.

I don't get technical with it....I'd just put a glorp into each new fill of the water pan. Can't overdose on ACV but if you put too much in they might be reluctant to drink....just use your own judgement and watch what they do.

If you are using the ACV with the mother in it, make sure you shake up your jug before dispensing so as to not lose your main mother into the watering pan. If you shake it up, the main cell with break up into fragments and you'll only get a little in the water each time and still have enough left of your original mother.

Back
Top Bottom