can different geese create mules???

I would have to dispute the argument that domestic goose and Canadian goose crosses are mules. I've read this in Dave Holderreads Book of Geese also, but I've witnessed this for myself not be true. My neighbor had a tolouse gander who paired with a Canadian goose years back and they produced offspring, 6 goslings. My neighbor gave 3 of those geese to his brother Duane, who is a friend of mine. My friend Duane has many Canadian geese he had raised from goslings and he thought these hybrids looked neat so he let them run with the rest of the flock. two of the three over the years turned out to be male sport hybrids that never did pair up with any other goose but one was a female sport hybrid. This female sport paired up with a Canadian Gander. They've been paired up for 4 years now and have never failed to produce offspring each year. They all look like pure Canadians only a slightly larger size, all are able to fly and do migrate with other Canadians.

I would have to dispute the argument that domestic goose and Canadian goose crosses are mules. I've read this in Dave Holderreads Book of Geese also, but I've witnessed this for myself not be true. My neighbor had a tolouse gander who paired with a Canadian goose years back and they produced offspring, 6 goslings. My neighbor gave 3 of those geese to his brother Duane, who is a friend of mine. My friend Duane has many Canadian geese he had raised from goslings and he thought these hybrids looked neat so he let them run with the rest of the flock. two of the three over the years turned out to be male sport hybrids that never did pair up with any other goose but one was a female sport hybrid. This female sport paired up with a Canadian Gander. They've been paired up for 4 years now and have never failed to produce offspring each year. They all look like pure Canadians only a slightly larger size, all are able to fly and do migrate with other Canadians.

Treebird- are you able to post pictures of the fertile hybrid and offspring? It would be great if you could, because I don't know of any fertile Canada x domestic crosses that have been documented photographically. It is also unusual that the female is fertile.

I have just been reading through this thread... I seem to recall seeing somewhere, maybe in the old auctions? where someone supposedly had Canada/domestic hybrids that were fertile. I really wish I could find it!

I am curious about what would happen if you crossed a Canada goose with a Sebastopol? I am trying to get a permit to have Canada geese. I really love them for some reason...

I have just been reading through this thread... I seem to recall seeing somewhere, maybe in the old auctions? where someone supposedly had Canada/domestic hybrids that were fertile. I really wish I could find it!

I am curious about what would happen if you crossed a Canada goose with a Sebastopol? I am trying to get a permit to have Canada geese. I really love them for some reason...
I love them too, they are very regal looking.

I heard there is a maxima strain where the Canadas can weigh 18-22lbs but I don't know of anyone who breeds them. I would like to get a hold of some of those. Most of the ones you see here in Iowa are 9-14lbs. It is hard to find true maxima giants. The Canada geese have such a wide genetic pool as far as sub family species go. It is hard to even tell them apart. I've heard of cacklers, eastern and maximas but was told there are more like 10 or 12 kind of Canadians.

I have only ever seen 1 Canada over 18 lbs and it was a hunted specimen. I would be interested to see others.

According to Sibley, 7 subspecies of large bodied Canada, and 4 species of small or Cackler. I have seen and raised a few of the Canada sub-species and seems to me there is a ton of variation (often varied from individual to individual within the same sub-species) such as: chinstrap or no, neck ring or no, breast shading, overall size / weight, bill measurement, etc. I believe there is still more work to be done with classifying the Canada sub-species before the dust finally settles.

Back
Top Bottom