Can different species live together?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by invertaman, Oct 13, 2008.

1. invertaman

invertaman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Indiana
    Hello, I am building a pen for my chickens alittle over 1/4 of an acre and I was wondering if I could keep my guineas and peacock with them?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I keep Guinea, Geese, Ducks and Chickens together. And I know people who keep geese, peacocks, chickens together. I think as long as they have room to get away from each other if they want, you should be ok.

3. BeakSanctuary

BeakSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    I do it, too, (guineas & chickens) but as far as the title of your thread goes, yes, I've heard that guineas and chickens really can and do 'mix species' with one another and the person who reported it (here on BYC) said it ain't a pretty sight. You might just mean can they live together, and, aside from that possibility, it's a yes for at least the two I know something about.

4. invertaman

Jul 24, 2008
    Indiana
    I have heard that peacocks need at less 10 sq. ft. in the coup. My coup has only 8 square ft. that would be free to the peacock. is there a smaller size peacock like a "pea-bantam" :|[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. BeakSanctuary

BeakSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    at last, today, something I can smile at! [​IMG]

6. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I'd throw a pig and goat in there too!

7. invertaman

Jul 24, 2008
    Indiana
    [​IMG] I'm glad I could help! A pig and a goat? That may be taking it a little to far. My chickens would completely object. they would not have it![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by