Can dogs or cats transmit worms to chicken?

alessadry

Songster
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
I have cats that I am not sure if they were dewormed by the previous owner and sometimes dogs come in our yard to poop. The chickens share the same acreage and I am wondering if chickens can get worms if they get in contact with dog or cat poop? I am planning to de-worm the cats just in case. Thank you.

Yes they can. They can get them from pecking in any animal feces including wild birds. For the most part the chickens immune system will keep any parasite in check. It's when they are stressed from whatever reason, then it becomes a problem.

My understanding is "no" that worms from dogs to chickens, and chickens to cats, visa-versa, etc... my understanding is that is not an issue. At least not from the poop... My chickens eat dog poop, my dog ate the chicken poop. It would/might be an issue if the cat killed and ate a chicken with worms? Or, if the chickens killed and ate the cat?? My understanding is the worms need a live host. So... a bug eats the fresh, very fresh poop, worm eggs, etc.... the bug carries the worms, the chicken eats the bug... the chicken has worms, caught them from the insect. Cats get worms from killing and eating live things, mice, birds, etc. Not sure if I am relaying that all correctly. Also, the tapeworms that dogs and cats get are a different variety from what chickens get? From what I have read? And, tapeworm segments do not survive long outside the host... so... if they are expelled in the poop of a cat.... or dog, and a few minutes, a day, a week later the chicken eats the poop, the tapeworm segments / eggs are dead, not viable.
I am sure someone else can better explain it. It's still good to worm everyone, cats, dogs, and chickens now and then.

I know the tapeworm segments need to be eaten by a host which is usually a[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] mouse, rabbit or flea. If a dog ingests an infected flea, rabbit or mouse it gets tapeworms. Roundworms I am not sure. I know the eggs are laid in the dirt when an animal poops there and then they hatch and if a dog licks the ground or its paws it ingests the eggs and the larvae grow in the stomach. So I am not sure if a chicken can get roundworms from eating dirt with roundworm eggs or not. Perhaps they are different types of roundworms?[/FONT]

I recently took in a dog who was infested with fleas, and, subsequently, tapeworms as well. I will deworm him, our two other dogs, and one cat, but I'm wondering if I need to deworm our flock of chickens.
I know that a healthy chicken can have tapeworms with little to no problems, but we are also currently dealing with feather pulling, which ups their stress levels, and I am worried that tapeworms may become an issue due to the stress.
I know nothing of deworming chickens, so I would love to hear about effective products and processes. And, really, any advice would be much appreciated.

I got somewhat the same question as originally posted. My dog has what I believe to be tapeworms. I'm going to treat him, but he uses the same yard as my chickens and ducks. Now I don't know if the dog got the worms from the birds since he loves to eat their crap, or if he got it from something else such as fleas. I also know that my coop is infested with mice which I'm worried will contaminate my birds as they are caught on camera in their food and water all day and night long. So now I'm wondering if this is how my dog got infected and if not if he does release the worms in treatment in the yard, will that then infect the birds that graze all day in the same yard? This whole parisite cycle stuff is so confusing and a head ache.

Back
Top Bottom