Can d'Uccles have 5 toes?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wegotchickens, Mar 17, 2009.

1. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Or do I have an extreme genetic flaw going on?
    I thought I read somewhere that this trait shows up from time to time, but now I can't find that source [​IMG]

I have a really cute chick, 5 perfect toes on each foot, in a lovely orangey-pink...

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Well, I havent heard of it either. I would say its not normal, but maybe it is just a starnge anomally with one chick. Where is the extra toe?

3. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    They look exactly like pink silkie feet. Toes in the same place.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Somewhere in its history is most likely a cross to one of the 5-toed breeds: silkie, sultan, dorking, faverolle or houdan.

5. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    That's probably what I'm remembering! I'll go back and look up the history again!
    Would this be considered a flaw, though?

6. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Well, I know that the breed standard is for 4 toes. Doesn't look like 5 toes is a disqualifying factor, but still... Since I'm trying to raise show birds I guess I'll find my cutie a less picky home!

Both feet are perfectly 5-toed and she walks perfectly. So she's either a mutant or a throwback. My only rooster is a millie fleur d'uccle.
    I do have a silkie cross hen, and could've marked the eggs wrong. But all the other chicks from the silkie cross x mille fleur roo are black and look just like their momma did when she was a chick.

My little mutant is a lovely golden brown like her d'Uccle momma when she was a chick!

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Incorrect number of toes is a DQ.

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    % toes is definately a disqualification. Isn't listed as such with the breed description but under the general disqualifications [in the front of the standard] wrong # of toes is a disqualification.

9. ChickenRaiser95

ChickenRaiser95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Snohomish County
    I just got a d'uccle chick the other day from a Co-Op and just happened to notice that it had five toes. I got a a Silkie a few days earlier from the same place. The toes and placement are exactly the same on both. The first is my d'uccle, the second is the Silkie.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    The top one is a Silkie cross, not a d'Uccle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by