Can duck coexists with chickens?

They can coexist with chickens. You will need to get multi flock food that both chickens and ducks can eat. A pool for the duck is ideal, but you will need to make sure the chickens stay away. It is possible that they might go broody and sit on each other's eggs. other then that' It might be better if they were free ranged.

We have mixed flock of 13 pullets. My daughter is begging to get a duck. Can duck socialize with chicken and stay in same coup????
ducks and chickens can live in the same coop but be warned ducks are very sloppy with their water and they need something other than a chicken waterer to use because they have to be able to dunk their whole faces to keep themselves clean and healthy. Also drakes[male ducks] when they become sexually mature will try to mate with anything with feathers so your chickens would be prime target and most likely would be seriously injured or killed since ducks and chickens were not made to mate. So you'd have to have a female duck. and then a lone duck even living with chickens isn't going to be as happy as one that has one of it's own kind. so really 2 ducks are much better than 1. Having ducks and chickens living in the same coop can be done especially if you don't feed or water them inside of it. and stay with all females. and all the best in your decision.

My duck does fine with the chickens, and so does my friends' seven ducks with their 40+ chickens. It could depend on the duck and their individual personality, but many people keep ducks with their chickens.

Oh, and the ducks love to keep the drinking water dirty, so you'll either have to deal with constantly cleaning it out, or provide lots of drinkers and hope that at least one stays clean! XD

Last edited:
ducks and chickens can live in the same coop but be warned ducks are very sloppy with their water and they need something other than a chicken waterer to use because they have to be able to dunk their whole faces to keep themselves clean and healthy. Also drakes[male ducks] when they become sexually mature will try to mate with anything with feathers so your chickens would be prime target and most likely would be seriously injured or killed since ducks and chickens were not made to mate. So you'd have to have a female duck. and then a lone duck even living with chickens isn't going to be as happy as one that has one of it's own kind. so really 2 ducks are much better than 1. Having ducks and chickens living in the same coop can be done especially if you don't feed or water them inside of it. and stay with all females. and all the best in your decision.
will a drake try to rape the chickens even if there is a duck around

I have 3 hens and 4 ducks, usually they love separate but one of my hens is ill and had to be isolated in the ducks house, so now they other hens and ducks live together and there are no problems, the ducks have a dog bowl to drink from and the hens still use their drinkers and they share layers pellets, and everyone looks happy! (except for the ill hen)

will a drake try to rape the chickens even if there is a duck around
My drake did at first but one of my hens had just stopped being broody so was still moody, so when this drake tried to mount her she have him a surprise in the form of a pecking, and he has never done it again. The hens and the drake now get along fine as if nothing happened ;)

Back
Top Bottom