Can duck eggs be hatched if they were put in the refrigerator ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pekinsRus, Feb 20, 2013.

1. pekinsRus

pekinsRus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    I know that the eggs should be kept in a cool,dark,dry place until they are placed in an incubator. I have had success this way. I am not sure if I will use these eggs for hatching, but I wanted your advice & experience on this matter. Also, how long can the eggs "keep" before going to an incubator if they were once refrigerated?
    Thank You Very Much,

2. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I have hatched eggs form the fridge many times. They all hatched fine. They had been in there about a week.

I have read that they may have a lower hatch rate if they have been in there for a long time because the fridge de hydrates them over time.

Don't put the cold eggs under the broody - or she will have a shock![​IMG]

Let the eggs reach room temperature slowly before adding them to the incubator or hen.

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    I agree, I would also say though that temperature probably has some involvement. A lot of peoples fridges are different, some may have theirs set just above freezing- others a little warmer; I've seen some temps be set so low the tea would have ice covering the tops.

But if I recall correctly, all (or many) of the egg farms refridgerate the eggs at a specific temp to help preserve them until it is time to ship them to the hatchery.

God bless,
    Daniel.

4. pekinsRus

pekinsRus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Thank you both very much for your knowledge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by