can duck play in snow

I do because of the extreme weather in my area. However, many do not have a roof on their pens.

Do you have pretty bad rain and snow? If so I would defiantly add a roof to their pen. Do they already have a coop?

Then a plywood top should be fine but I think a simple tarp would be ample for your situation.

I find that up here in Maine, my ducks are not all that crazy about the snow. I definitely say they need a dry place to go that is protected from the wind, rain and snow. If it is a nasty winter day, I mostly find them in the shed. While they could free range, in that type of weather they do not go very far from their shelter. I would say that they need at least a 3 sided shelter with a roof to keep them comfortable during the day and a place for them to be completely closed in safely at night.
I also found the older my ducks got, the harder the harshness of the winters are on them. My opinion is that they are not crazy about snow at all, but then again, I have never had really young ducks, mine were always adopted as adults.

Then a plywood top should be fine but I think a simple tarp would be ample for your situation.
A tarp might be okay unless they get alot of snow, being your in Texas K you may not know some parts of the country do get alot of snow.
wink.png
JK
hugs.gif
but I would make them a shelter with a plywood roof to keep them warm and out of the wind . It doesn't have to be anything fancy but needs to be very well ventilated and have a door so they can be locked up and protected from preds. If you use a tarp and you get alot of snow I would be concerned you'd come out and find your ducks buried alive. there are alot of pics and info on building your ducks a house here on BYC just type in duck housing.

Back
Top Bottom