Can ducklings have veggie smoothies?

Little Byrd

Chirping
Dec 25, 2015
Georgia
My ducklings are two 10-week old Khaki Campbells, two 7-week old runners, and one 5-week old runner. I'm determined to feed them only organic feed, but they eat up their 20lb bag of feed so fast that I'm often stuck chopping up organic veggies for their feed.

That takes a very, very looong time to chop up enough for 5 ducks. It would be much faster to just throw all the veggies in a blender, but I've heard mashed food is dufficult for ducks to swallow.

My ducklings are two 10-week old Khaki Campbells, two 7-week old runners, and one 5-week old runner. I'm determined to feed them only organic feed, but they eat up their 20lb bag of feed so fast that I'm often stuck chopping up organic veggies for their feed.

That takes a very, very looong time to chop up enough for 5 ducks. It would be much faster to just throw all the veggies in a blender, but I've heard mashed food is dufficult for ducks to swallow.
Mash or chopped veggies are not a complete feed though, along with their chopped
veggies or mashed food they need a feed that is formulated for them. I do not think feeding them mashed veggies would hurt as long as they have access to lots of drinking water. Ducks always have to have drinking water when eating.

Last edited:
What I have read is that mash is difficult for ducks, as it falls out the sides of their mouths so much. Mash is a dry feed. Moist food works well for my flock. At this point some may want to advise caution about wetting feed, as there is a risk of mold. If too much feed is set out, yes, it can mold, and in hot weather it can mold quickly. So we have covered that.

Vegetables are good for ducks, especially fresh veggies - as an addition to their balanced ration. Carol Deppe writes about feeding cooled cooked potatoes to her Anconas as part of their diet. And I believe that cooked sweet potatoes can be beneficial as a small part of a duck's diet.

I would love for someone who is expert in waterfowl nutrition to come out with a couple of publications. One, would be the actual amount of each nutrient or component for optimum health. In other words, how many milligrams of calcium, niacin, etc.? And then, more important in a way, some examples of whole foods - not store-bought concentrates - that would meet these requirements. It may take a second kind of expert to produce the second publication from the first. But I would pay money for that second publication. If anyone knows of it already existing, please let us know.

One way to provide nourishment for less money is to get a worm farm or black soldier fly larvae farm going. Those do not take up much room. They require some knowledge, time and effort, but once you have it up and running, provides protein and B vitamins.

I plan to grow amaranth and millet in the garden this year - those provide some minerals, vitamins and protein as well.

Speaking of plans, I really, really, need to get the wheat berry sprouting system up and running. Like, a month ago…. sigh.
roll.png

Mash or chopped veggies are not a complete feed though, along with their chopped
 veggies or mashed food they need a feed that is formulated for them.  I do not think feeding them mashed veggies would hurt as long as they have access to lots of drinking water. Ducks always have to have drinking water when eating.

Majority of their diet is organic chick starter, but when I run out sooner than expected, I give them veggies, oatmeal, quinoa, and chopped boiled eggs.

What I have read is that mash is difficult for ducks, as it falls out the sides of their mouths so much.  Mash is a dry feed.  Moist food works well for my flock.  At this point some may want to advise caution about wetting feed, as there is a risk of mold.  If too much feed is set out, yes, it can mold, and in hot weather it can mold quickly.  So we have covered that.

Oh, now I see where I got confused. I thought "mash" was mashed food lol. Thanks :)

Oh, now I see where I got confused. I thought "mash" was mashed food lol. Thanks
smile.png
Well what you were explaining was mashed food lol I knew what you meant anyway.. There is a feed called mash from all I hear it is very dusty too don't think I would want to feed my flock that but I ferment my feed anyway so it is already moist. What you explained on how you feed when you run out of your reg feed is fine as long as it isn't for long. Ducks especially ducklings need alot more nutrients in a more complex way than we can put together. I would love to be able to make a feed up for my flock of all organic ingredients that I would know would be all I needed to keep them healthy, Not possible for me. Don't have the area to plant for one.

@Little Byrd Welcome to BYC!!! love to see pics of your little ones.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom