Can ducklings move in to outdoor brooder at 2 weeks of age.

coolguy221822

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2015
My newly hatched ducklings can generate quite a smell. I cant walk into my room without dry heaving first. I have a big bunny house that I can convert into an outdoor brooder. Can they be moved outside at 2 weeks of age. the temp is about 80 to 90. I live in Florida. One last question, What should I add to the brooder. I might add a ventilation system with a pc fan. Thank you for your time.

My newly hatched ducklings can generate quite a smell. I cant walk into my room without dry heaving first. I have a big bunny house that I can convert into an outdoor brooder. Can they be moved outside at 2 weeks of age. the temp is about 80 to 90. I live in Florida. One last question, What should I add to the brooder. I might add a ventilation system with a pc fan. Thank you for your time.
At 2 weeks ducklings need to be kept at temps around 80* if that is your temp at night and you can keep them where they won't be in wind or rain they would probably be okay with lots of soft bedding to snuggle up into. What type of bedding are you using maybe they need a bigger brooder.

At 2 weeks ducklings need to be kept at temps around 80* if that is your temp at  night and you can keep them where they won't be in wind or rain they would probably be okay with lots of soft bedding to snuggle up into. What type of bedding are you using maybe they need a bigger brooder.
i am using a 55 gal box for the brooder. Bedding is sand. I just came home and saw that the brooder was filled with water from their fallen waterer. The second the smell of wet feed and duxk poop hit me, i almost vomited

i am using a 55 gal box for the brooder. Bedding is sand. I just came home and saw that the brooder was filled with water from their fallen waterer. The second the smell of wet feed and duxk poop hit me, i almost vomited
How many ducklings? and what is your set up? I am talking about what type of waterers are you using . If you move your ducklings out side in cool temps with out heat you risk them chilling and possibly getting sick or dying. What about a garage and heat if it's cool in the garage.

Last edited:
How many ducklings? and what is your set up? I am talking about what type of waterers are you using . If you move your ducklings out side in cool temps with out heat you risk them chilling and possibly getting sick or dying. What about a garage and heat if it's cool in the garage.
my garage is quite cluttered, and i do have a rat problem in the garage so i dont know. Temperatures at night usally stay around 80 but can go to 75. In my brooder, i have the light set on one side and the food and water on the other side. 3 ducks

my garage is quite cluttered, and i do have a rat problem in the garage so i dont know. Temperatures at night usally stay around 80 but can go to 75. In my brooder, i have the light set on one side and the food and water on the other side. 3 ducks
@adroit14 it's your decision on what you do with your ducklings, Ducklings that aren't feathered in completely can't adjust their body heat to the temps outside so they can chill easily. Keeping their brooder clean is a top priority when we have them inside not only for us and the smell but for their health. Here is a simple waterer that can be used to keep them from dumping out their water, just put a rock in the bottom to keep them from tipping it over. What is the temp in their brooder?

LL

@adroit14 it's your decision on what you do with your ducklings, Ducklings that aren't feathered in completely can't adjust their body heat to the temps outside so they can chill easily. Keeping their brooder clean is a top priority when we have them inside not only for us and the smell but for their health. Here is a simple waterer that can be used to keep them from dumping out their water, just put a rock in the bottom to keep them from tipping it over. What is the temp in their brooder?
LL
temp is 85

Back
Top Bottom