1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can ducks and geese crossbreed???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RooptyDoo, Jan 18, 2010.

1. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    I was wondering if ducks can crossbreed with geese? I see my male runner duck on my female goose all the time and I cracked her egg open this morning and suprisingly it was fertile. I am confused maybe this can happen? Is there anyway a duck can fertilize geese? [​IMG]

2. Interesting! Do you have an incubator?

3. RooptyDoo

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    Yep sure do! [​IMG]

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

and you have no ganders?

5. RooptyDoo

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    The one that we thought was the gander laid an egg today. The male runner duck was on her a couple of days ago and appeared to be doing his job well. When we broke her egg open today it was fertile. It had a very large bullseye. I have one other goose that I am not sure what it is but I do think it is also a female. Here is a pic of them. The 2 in front are 100% females. The one in the back is the one we are not sure about but we think she is a female. We never seen IT on the ladies but we have also never seen the male runner duck on IT either. They are almost a year old. Anybody got any thoughts? Am i gonna have GooDucks?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  6. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    I sure want to know to because i was planning on keeping my new buff geese with my welsh harlequin ducks and my gray pomeranian geese with my magpies to keep the breeds pure! [​IMG] (once i get my geese of course this spring)

7. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I wouldn't think they can crossbreed as holderread has a pair of geese in each of his duck yards.

8. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

They are different species. There must be a gander somewhere.

9. bubblebean11

bubblebean11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    20 min N of Denver
    My african wont mate with the 2 girls we have, but he sure likes one of my cayugas!! I cracked up the day I saw them "together"

10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    2 seperate famlies of birds, should not be possible, one of you geese is a gander. If by some freak of nature , it did get fertilized, chances are it wouldnt hatch. People keep ducks with geese all the time and I have never once in my life heard of a gosse duck,[​IMG]

It should be genetically impossible,

but then I have seen a guinea chicken on here too? And guinea peafowl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by