Can ducks and goats share an area?

Eggsandbeyond

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
Can I put a small flock (3-4 ducks) together with 2 nigerian dwarf goats? (Does)

The space is roughly about 300 SQ ft of outside space. They'd each have their own separate housing of course.

Can they co exist together safely and peacefully? What are some things I need to look out for? I have seen people put chickens and goats in the same area. But I know ducks are much messier, and goats hate getting wet. What's your thoughts?

We have goats, ducks, and chickens. However we have a much larger space. Our goats get to roam a much larger area than that. We do have a small pond that we let our ducks go up to and it is in the area the goats use. The chickens occasionally fly over as well. My kids refer to them as a flerd (flock/herd). Overall they do really well together but on occasion our bigger goat will try to headbutt one of the birds.

We have goats, ducks, and chickens. However we have a much larger space. Our goats get to roam a much larger area than that. We do have a small pond that we let our ducks go up to and it is in the area the goats use. The chickens occasionally fly over as well. My kids refer to them as a flerd (flock/herd). Overall they do really well together but on occasion our bigger goat will try to headbutt one of the birds.
Ouch!

That would just be the fenced in area where the shelter would be. I would probably let them roam the yard with the chickens here and there. When the garden is off season so they don't ruin the fence and eat everything 😂 I don't have the ducks or goats yet. I could easily put the ducks elsewhere, but thought it would be easier to have them in the same space. But, not necessary if not a good idea.

That would just be the fenced in area where the shelter would be. I would probably let them roam the yard with the chickens here and there. When the garden is off season so they don't ruin the fence and eat everything 😂 I don't have the ducks or goats yet. I could easily put the ducks elsewhere, but thought it would be easier to have them in the same space. But, not necessary if not a good idea.
My chickens are spoiled rotten and if I'm outside they're out of the run following me around lol. Probably will be the same with the goats and ducks. But, I do not want the ducks in with the chickens in their run. I could make them their own space if needed. But just curious before I get them.

thats great but also you said you have them sharing a lot more than 300 sq feet?
Yes we have a total of 2.3 acre. The ducks have their own area for their shelter and “run.” The acreage is split with front yard, bottom back lot and top back lot. I’m not sure how much space is in each. We alternate the ducks in the top lot, which is where our goats roam. However they (the ducks) end up spending a lot of their time in the smaller fenced area that the goats house and feeders are in. So they are frequently in a smaller area without problem.

Back
Top Bottom