Can ducks be desexed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by totallyquackers, Aug 15, 2010.

1. totallyquackers

totallyquackers New Egg

Aug 15, 2010
    I have 2 pekin drakes that are 6months old and they are upsetting my chickens with their relentless mating attempts, I can seperate them but was wondering if its possible to desex ducks and if its very expensive? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    While I'm sure it's probably possible, it's not likely that you will find anyone that knows how and it's not very practical. Since they don't really have 'outside' parts, you're also probably looking at a major health risk involving some serious surgery to even make the attempt. You'd be better off just separating them or finding them a home or some girls.

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Well, actually, some people still caponize roosters, so technically it could be done. It would definitely be a job for a veterinarian, probably wouldn't be cheap, and probably would be hard to find a vet willing to do it. Also, there may be a timing issue -- generally, it's my understanding with most animals that you really need to do this before they reach sexual maturity in order for it to stop problem behaviors. If it's done later, it cuts down on it somewhat but not entirely. I know that my second dog was neutered at 2 1/2 years for medical reasons, and he still did some behaviors typical of a male dog at times.

Your best bet would probably be to get a couple of nice pekin hens for the boys, and odds are they'll leave the chickens alone. If that doesn't work, you may have to separate them.

4. eco2pia

eco2pia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Caponizing will not solve your problem at this point, I second that. Once an animal has tried breeding, they do it again out of habit, or possibly, like humans, just because it is fun. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by