Can ducks drink tea?

Why is it bad for them? I’ve given oatmeal to my ducks warm a few times and I have mealworms and oat mix....
The first vet I took my duckings to told me I could share a few bites of oatmeal with them when they were about 2 or 3 weeks old. He was an avian certified veterinarian. He also told me I could feed them chicken food as their main diet and didn't need duck food. Which is true - but duck food is better for them and I wish he would have told me what was best. So I'm not sure if his go ahead is good enough for me.

My current vet feels much more knowledgeable to me about such things. We have a wellness visit due soon, I'll ask then. I get the feeling that a few bites as a treat might be ok but they should really be eating properly formulated duck food for the majority of their food. As with all treats.

The first vet I took my duckings to told me I could share a few bites of oatmeal with them when they were about 2 or 3 weeks old. He was an avian certified veterinarian. He also told me I could feed them chicken food as their main diet and didn't need duck food. Which is true - but duck food is better for them and I wish he would have told me what was best. So I'm not sure if his go ahead is good enough for me.

My current vet feels much more knowledgeable to me about such things. We have a wellness visit due soon, I'll ask then. I get the feeling that a few bites as a treat might be ok but they should really be eating properly formulated duck food for the majority of their food. As with all treats.
I agree and the article seemed to mainly just talk about “diluting” their diet rather than specifically about oatmeal which is true of any treats, not just oatmeal. Also seemed to be trying to sell Purina feed so that made me a little skeptical. I like Purina and am even currently using it but I don’t really trust someone saying something is bad when they also mention their brand several times and seem to be trying to sell a specific food (Layena...which isn’t good for every bird). Chicken Chick is also notoriously not that knowledgeable or reputable.

Some of the stuff they mentioned like the rot gut thing was terrifying but to me it kind of seemed like they were just trying to scare people into not feeding any treats so that they buy more Purina. Idk. I’m sure that if the birds were eating it every single day as their sole diet then yeah, I’d be concerned, but I really don’t think giving it as the occasional treat or splitting a small bowl between the whole flock is really that much of a concern.

I would not feed it every day or even once a week though. Just as an occasional treat and they definitely don’t need it to stay warm or anything. But I’m not sure it’s as deadly as they say it is. If it was, a lot more birds would be dead right now given how many people feed it. Not just as a treat either. There’s tons of people that mix oats into their feed blends (if they make their own) and feed it as a regular part of the diet. Why aren’t more birds dropping dead???

Idk. I think it’s just like everything else. In moderation, it’s probably fine but just don’t feed oats exclusively or whatever. I mean, donuts and pies and fast food and all that stuff are horrible for humans but we still eat all of it :lau just not exclusively.

I would like to see some actual scientific data on it though and peer reviewed studies, etc. rather than just some guy from Purina and a blogger. :idunno

Yeah I agree. I’ve only given my ducks oatmeal twice in the past 3 months. But I have a mealworm oat mix . Is that okay to give them like once or twice a week? It’s mainly just bugs but there is a little oats

Yeah I agree. I’ve only given my ducks oatmeal twice in the past 3 months. But I have a mealworm oat mix . Is that okay to give them like once or twice a week? It’s mainly just bugs but there is a little oats
I’m sure it’s probably fine but I’m not sure if give it that often. Idk. How much would you be giving them between how many birds?

Back
Top Bottom