Can ducks eat adequately out of hanging chx feeders?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jmc, Jan 24, 2009.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Those hanging tube type feeder used for chx so often, plastic or not........I really wonder if those would be sufficient as duck feeders. They could barely get their bills in, could never shovel up their feed as they seem to like to do.

Of course, they'd have to work for it more, so they'd get more exercise.

But the above thoughts--maybe erroneous--have kept me from using my red & white plastic tube feeders for the ducks.

I have no chickens, btw....

My ducks eat out of round, galvanized feed pans I got at Walmart. But they sometimes poop in it--seldom, but......

and once in a while they step on the edge, it tilts and some feed spills out.

A tube feeder would correct this, but again.........

I also realize I could just experiment, but I also value your experiences and opiniions

tx

2. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I had a hanging feeder (red and white) and the 2 ducks were able to stick their bills in enough to get food.. The problem was that they would take the food, slurp up some water and go back to the feeder and wet the food. So it jammed the food from automatically coming down. I now just use a raised dish for both the chickens and ducks.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by