1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can ducks eat chicken layer pellet ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jackrooster, Sep 24, 2010.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    I have my chickens and ducks together........can my ducks eat layer pellet ?? I have a mallard a pekin 2 blue sweeds and a buff........or will this make them sick??

2. BigPeep

BigPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    I have ducks and chickens. Although they are now separated, they were together for a time. I tried to feed the chickens chicken feed and the ducks duck feed but it didn't take long before they were each eating each other's feed so I don't think it makes any difference. In fact, as I am now selling the duck eggs and I have certified organic feed for the chickens but not the ducks, I am going to start putting the organic chicken feed into the duck feed in increasing quantities until the ducks are only getting the organic chicken feed by the time they start laying again in the Spring. I can't get the organic duck feed around here. This will technically still not qualify the duck eggs as being organic because they were eating the non organic feed for a time in their lives but it's close enough.

3. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    would it make them lay better??

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Whatever you feed, during laying season the calcium levels need to be higher than when they are not laying.

I feed a combination that is roughly:

2/3 duck maintenance
    1/3 poultry layer
    a handful of dry cat kibble
    a handful of hard wheat
    2-3 handfuls rolled oats

crushed oyster shell free choice

all the slugs, worms, and creepy-crawlies they can find
    greens - garden weeds, chopped lettuce

A few peas as a treat almost daily

oyster shell is nice because if you have drakes, layer pellets are rough on their internal organs over the long haul. So if you have a mix of male and female, stick with maintenance ration and add free choice oyster shell on the side. If they are all female, you could use layer pellets, which have the calcium they need. Lack of calcium can cause serious health problems for layers.

'Hope you are enjoying your ducks!

1 person likes this.
  5. Kelebek

Kelebek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2009
    Orange Grove, TX
    Thank you - I was curious about this - as right now our ducks and chickens co-mingle free range and hubby has been caught buying layer instead of scratch .....

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    all mine roam together and I could not keep them away from their seperate feeders so they all get layer pellets! calls, magpie,runners, and chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by