Can ducks eat minnows?

Oh I would Never feed my ducks dead fish. I love them too much! Thanks everyone for your kind feed back!

Oh this sounds great! I was just asking my boyfriend if he thought they would like minnows, I read that they will eat tadpoles so I thought minnows would be good too. I can't wait to try it! We just got ducks on Monday, a drake and two hen Blue Swedes. I love them and what delicious eggs, they are great to watch and this sounds hilarious. Thanks for the post RoseWarrior!

I go down to the creek and catch crawfish, minnows, tad poles, crickets, meal worms, snails, muscles, and just what ever bugs are not hiding get put in my bug basket or minnow bucket. If the creek is dry, I go to the bait store and stock up on snacks for my duckies, I just love them all, there is nothing funner though than watching them chase crickets, ground moles, or grass hoppers. Oh, life is great here on the farm. Here is a bug that fell from the light the other night and my new babie calls and goose was trying to get at that big old bug, See the bug back in the left hand corner of the call picture, you can see him also in the picture with Paula the goose, but when that bug latched around one of the calls legs it came quacking and running to me saying Mama mama get that thing off me

60300_img_2568.jpg

60300_img_2576.jpg

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

big_smile.png

I give minnows,tadpoles and goldfish to my laying flock.The only negative I have heard is that if you're using them for meat..too much fish can affect flavor.They are a riot to watch catching fish
big_smile.png

I tries this and my ducks went WILD! At first they were a little weary, but once they figured it out they LOVED IT! I had to run and get more, they got very mad when they ran out. Also they refused to get in their little pool till there were more minnows to chase.
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

@0.27 a pop for feeder golfish is too rich for me! I have a minnow supplier by my in-laws and they run me about 1.50 for a doz. (of course they toss in extras...) I have tossed them in the pool when the water has been clear AND cloudy.... that make catching the suckers more of a challenge for the ducks! It is a riot to watch them run all over the place; and it is good 'brain' activity for them!

My ducks will even try to jump straight up out of the water to get a minnow out of your hand.

One word of warning: their poop will be VERY smelly after eating minnows!
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
Yes, yes, yes! They love minnows, and frogs, and slugs, and worms, and MINNOWS, and . . .

For fun and entertainment, we will set up chairs around the big baby pool, throw in 100 or 200 gold fish (costs us about 10 bucks for the show), and we watch the ducks go to town, swimming in circles. We never actually see them eat a fish, though we try to see it. All we know is those little fish disappear!

big_smile.png

We went to the creek yesterday and caught about 30 minnows and 20 crawdads and brought them back to the ducks! They LOVED them!! It was very comical watching them try to figure out how to eat the crawdads without sharing!! Lol
A great family day!!

Back
Top Bottom