1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can ducks eat minnows?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rosewarrior, May 1, 2011.

1. Rosewarrior

Rosewarrior Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2011
    Some one told me that they fed their wild ducks minnows, is it ok to feed farm ducks minnows too? I just wanted to see if my Khaki Campbells would like to try minnows. They love worms and will do anyhting to get them. I wanted to see if this new treat is ok for them to have, before I let them try it. The type on minnow I'm looking to get are called Rosies. Can someone help me please?

2. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    My 4 week olds were happily out in the [preformed] pond today munching on snails during their semi daily "clean yourself up" swim. They may or may not like them. If you're using a kiddy pool then it'll be easy for them to see and they might very well go nuts chasing them. You can pick up feeder goldfish [and rosy reds] at Wal*Mart for them, too. But, how old are they?

3. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Oh yea they will relish them. Not harmful. And hilarious to watch.

4. Rosewarrior

Rosewarrior Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2011
    They are a little over a year old. Thank for responding so quicky, I will have to pick some up for them! If it is half as hilarous as feeding them worms, I'm sure it will be a hoot to watch. LOL!!![​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  5. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Make sure you have clear water before the games begin! [​IMG]

6. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I am so glad you asked this question. I was just about to post the exact same thing when i came across this post. [​IMG] Im going to go to walmart tomorrow and get some of those small feeder gold fish. Or Rosy Reds. I would love to see my ducks chase them. I am constintely giving them worms. Now everytime I go out there they expect worms. LOL!

7. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I would try and go with a store that uses no harmful chemicals or antibiotics, however. I go to our local owner-run fishing tackle supply store, they are careful what they use in the tanks so as to not contaminate waterways. Also, only get fish your ducks can swallow! My Calls eat the tiny minnows used for fishing for crappies...

8. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    My ducks LOVE fish! I get the small feeder goldfish and they go nuts! But I will echo the above poster and say clear water is important! That way they can see them to chase them.

9. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Be very very careful feeding minnows toy your ducks. You could cause serious harm to yourself (falling out your chair from laughter) [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by