Can ducks eat whole shell corn?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shelleyd2008, Jan 14, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't 'feed' them corn, but I have been giving them some cracked corn. to help them stay warmer. Today I got the bright idea to save $.60 and get whole shell, since the chickens act like it's manna when they see it!! After I remembered that ducks are supposed to have seeds? So is shell corn okay or not?

Just to be clear, this is an 'additive' to their regular diet, just to give them something that creates more heat.

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I think it needs to be cracked otherwise they won't digest it fully negating the savings.

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Weve fed whole shell corn to our ducks before without any problems. [​IMG]

4. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Our ducks and geese prefer the shelled corn over cracked. If they have access to dirt where they can pickup stones (or offer grit) for there gizzard to grind it up you should not have a problem.

Randy www.spectrumranch.net & www.sosranch.net

Heritage Auction dates Feb 26-28, 2009 see websites for details
    Antiques- FEB 26 & 27
    Firearms FEB 26
    Animals Feb 28

5. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    [​IMG] Please don`t ,it will choke them.They are too young.We lost one from that one time.I have give them fruit,like oranges,and they like celery and put it in water,the celery.They love that.But oranges they just love,I cut it up and they eat it all day.They get the juice out of it.Try some crushed corn ,fine like cormeal. But they really like starter crumbles,,,,yes we have them spoiled,,,,,[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I was referring to the adults that are outside in the cold. That would be why they get corn, because it is cold outside.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2009
  7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My call ducks eat whole corn fine with no problems. I've always been told that once it's cracked it loses a lot of the nutritional value so I always feed whole.

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Well, that's good to know! I hadn't heard that! I was getting the cracked since most of my chickens are bantams. I figured it would be easier for them to eat. But they act like it is the best thing in the world when they see whole shell!

9. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    My runners are getting some whole corn and seem to be doing fine.

Julie [​IMG]

10. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I do give my ducks whole shelled corn sometimes. We were given 200lbs from a farmer my husband does work for, we ran 150 lbs throw the grinder, left 50lbs uncracked for the ducks. Mine seem to like it better that way (don't worry we all know you are not stupid). [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by