Can ducks eat whole shell corn?

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I don't 'feed' them corn, but I have been giving them some cracked corn. to help them stay warmer. Today I got the bright idea to save $.60 and get whole shell, since the chickens act like it's manna when they see it!! After I remembered that ducks are supposed to have seeds? So is shell corn okay or not?

Just to be clear, this is an 'additive' to their regular diet, just to give them something that creates more heat.

Weve fed whole shell corn to our ducks before without any problems.
smile.png

sad.png
Please don`t ,it will choke them.They are too young.We lost one from that one time.I have give them fruit,like oranges,and they like celery and put it in water,the celery.They love that.But oranges they just love,I cut it up and they eat it all day.They get the juice out of it.Try some crushed corn ,fine like cormeal. But they really like starter crumbles,,,,yes we have them spoiled,,,,,
gig.gif
frow.gif
celebrate.gif

I was referring to the adults that are outside in the cold. That would be why they get corn, because it is cold outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Well, that's good to know! I hadn't heard that! I was getting the cracked since most of my chickens are bantams. I figured it would be easier for them to eat. But they act like it is the best thing in the world when they see whole shell!

I do give my ducks whole shelled corn sometimes. We were given 200lbs from a farmer my husband does work for, we ran 150 lbs throw the grinder, left 50lbs uncracked for the ducks. Mine seem to like it better that way (don't worry we all know you are not stupid).
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom