Can ducks eat whole shell corn?

Is corn good for Ducks? As people we not digest corn, Can Ducks???
Lots of controversy about this here, a member on the goose thread has an avain vet who recc she feed whole corn along with good quality feed to her geese and ducks, so I have been giving mine and this is a flock of 36. chickens/ducks/geese a container[22ozs] of whole corn in the afternoon along with some BOSS and dried mealworms, Mine seem to be doing fine on it. And depends on age too young ducklings may have a problem with whole corn, and then theres the GMO problems from corn too. I'd say that decision will ultimately be yours. But as for feeding it I don't see a problem with it as long as they are getting quality feed first and foremost.

I'm adding corn to supplement feed right now, but honestly I felt like they were not eating enough of the whole corn. So I ran about 10# thru my food processor and they eat it just fine that way. I think frozen whole corn is hard for them to digest/swallow.

Last edited:
My adult ducks and geese love whole corn...it has never caused any problems...I will say however that this is just a small treat during the day... my ducks and geese have a small amount of ground corn during the Winter months to supplement their proprietary feed when they are housed at night...

I grow my own corn here and it has no mould.... I inspect every grain before I store it...takes a long time but I am satisfied that it is of the best quality I can give them.

If ducks couldn't eat corn....about 750,000 mallards in South Dakota should be dead.

Clint

Back
Top Bottom