1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can Ducks get Mites?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by binza1979, Apr 12, 2011.

1. binza1979

binza1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    Our chickens have mites and I'm worried that our duckies will get them too.

Should I worry?

2. Duck Mad

Duck Mad Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Rugby
    unsure ... but if they do have mights underneath their wings is where you will spot them best

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, ducks can get mites. Having just a few is not a big worry, but an infestation as you know is not healthy.

4. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    A few years ago I had a Pekin duck die from a bad lice infestation. [​IMG]

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Ducks can get them but because they bathe so often they can keep them under control better than chickens. If chickens have access to an area to dust bathe in(and do) they can usually keep an infestation under control.

A while back my rooster fell ill because of a serious infestation of lice, all while his girls were running around happy & lice free.... the big dummy never dust bathes though, he just watches the girls do it [​IMG] . I have a drake that doesn't like to get all the way in the water sometimes so i have to either put him in or push him in to make sure he gets regular baths, he still hasn't ever had any bug problems though, thankfully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by