Can Easter Eggers have Wyandotte in them?

Angel980

In the Brooder
May 9, 2023
Hi, this is my Easter egger, Blondie lol( she was the lightest of all my hens) Her coloring is very unique compared to my others. I don't know a whole lot about different breeds but I would guess she's part wyandotte? If so what color eggs do they normally lay?

IMG_COM_20240125_1415_51_3520.jpg

Easter Eggers are a mix between Araucanas (blue egg breed) and a brown egg laying breed.
Now I'm not an EE expert, but I highly doubt Wyandottes would be used to make EEs. Wyandottes lay light brown eggs I think. I've never heard of any Wyandotte EEs least.
When you take a closer look you can also see that your hen isn't laced like Wyandottes are. She is double laced. It's more likely she was mixed with a Barnevelder which are double laced and lay brown eggs. If you ask me, her body type does look similar to Barnevelders.

Easter eggers like this have been around for at least a century. They are old mixes of South American breeds with the blue egg laying gene and more commercial breeds of every sort. What I'm getting at is that generally there is no way to tell what breeds were used for particular Easter eggers of this kind. She actually looks more like a Barnevelder or dark Cornish to me than a Wyandotte.

That is a Barnevelder, not an Easter Egger. The latter has no standard appearance because they are a mixed breed, which means they can look like anything and have anything mixed in their genetics as long as they have at least one Ameraucana parent in their lineage and they must possess either the genes to lay a blue, green or pink egg, most usually the former of the three.

That is a Barnevelder, not an Easter Egger. The latter has no standard appearance because they are a mixed breed, which means they can look like anything and have anything mixed in their genetics as long as they have at least one Ameraucana parent in their lineage and they must possess either the genes to lay a blue, green or pink egg, most usually the former of the three.
Barnevelders have single combs. At best, she’s a mix.

There can be hatchery quality individuals of a breed, which means they are of bad quality.
True I guess but Barnevelders are also way more expensive than other breeds plus OP didn’t even order any so I find it highly unlikely they would include one in their order. That also happens to have the wrong type comb. And the wrong lacing. Much more likely to be an EE that happens to look like one. They can look like anything.

Back
Top Bottom