Can egg shell color change?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KauAnnie, Nov 21, 2011.

1. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    My EE had just started laying last week. First there were 2 small green tinted shell colored eggs but today and yesterday the eggs have changed to slightly larger and a cream colored light brown. Is this the same chicken laying? I have only 1 EE, 1 mixed bantam, 1 mixed chicken, a silkie and a White Cochin. Could the others have started laying too?

2. idispatch4911

idispatch4911 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I'm pretty new, but it sounds to me like the noticeable difference is because it's different. I'd guess another layer or two! I had the same question with my hens, but the size and color difference are a dead giveaway! Congrats!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  3. Starlight 451

Starlight 451 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    I would say yes. [​IMG]
    there can be really small changes in the shells, and size varies too but if you're getting that big a difference it is probably another chicken!

4. MamiPollo

MamiPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    My Coop
    My theory is that when two are more are ready to start laying and one lays the first egg, it spurs the other one on to lay her first egg.

My araucana laid her first egg this week in a nest she made in the bedding straw outside the nest box. Next day there was a brown egg in the same spot, and a few hours later I found a green egg there. The australorp had gone to the araucana's nest to lay her first egg in the same spot.

Can't rule out a little sisterly competition! [​IMG]

5. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah! You have a new layer [​IMG] You will get changes in intensity of color, but not color itself. My EE's will go from green-blue to blue-green, my Welsummer's will be dark background with slightly darker spots to lighter tan with redder spots...but a blue never changes to red/brown! Imagine the egg going down the chute of a production line, pausing to allow the final coat of "paint". Sometimes it lingers for a deep tint, but other times it passes quickly and only gets a light coat, lol! I've even had eggs that looked like they were partially dipped in egg dye, half light and half dark! But the core color will always remain the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by